T60 damper seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T60 damper seal

When changing the impeller on my 2010 t60tlr , the damper seal appeared way out of alignment. The rectangular slot it fits into was filled with 1/4" of crusty salt. As I was scraping out the deposits,it was so corroded I punched a hole right through the bottom of the seat. Thinking of using some JB Weld to seal up the hole. Anyone have a better recommendation? Also the parts list shows a damper seal guide, but there was none present ! The seal seems to fit into its slot very snugly and is also proud of the top of the lower unit. Also my woodruff key is seized in the shaft. Plan to try the dull chisel method to drive it out in the morning. I bought this motor used and this is the first water pump service I 'd done since I bought it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by b.quick8; 08-26-2017, 04:10 AM. Reason: Spelling

Here's a pic with the seal installed . ( haven't patched the hole yet !)
    Attached Files

Comment

JB Weld is worth a shot.

Comment

Someone may have had it apart before(doesn't look like it) and lost that seal guide:

2006 and Later T60TLR Yamaha Outboard LOWER CASING DRIVE 2 Diagram and Parts

That key way fits super tight even on a new one.

I agree, get those aluminum parts super clean (no corrosion) and JB weld it. It's easily sanded. If the rubber seals survive any heat, the JB weld will.

I'm curious how much that missing seal guild will cover that "new hole". ** How to keep it from "falling" in the hole while it's setting up, IDK...

A machine shop can also weld that hole closed.

Also, once you get the wear plate off, check the upper driver shaft seal.
        The very small, SS tension spring likes to go away over time causing potential water intrusion.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

isn't that part replaceable?

Comment

I agree that guide is just a piece of aluminum that holds the rubber, it is replaceable.

buy a new one if you want to see what the shape is

Comment

It is just an L shaped piece of aluminum..replaceable. There is a little piece of the LU casting that bridges the back edge of that slot where the damper guide goes.....it is long corroded away.

Piss poor design...a bath tub for salt water. My brothers F60 the same way. The L shaped piece completely gone when I took LU off last time.

Comment

Yep, and with the rubber seal being "way off", someone was in there before and dinked that up...

Maybe a poor design looking initially, BUT Yamaha made it replaceable VS part of the casting. So maybe not so bad....

Doing a WP every once in awhile would reveal it's condition. And a very easy fix!
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-26-2017, 07:32 PM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up on the ss spring. Will check its condition once I pry off the wp.

Comment

I'm also going to just replace that damper guide .....sometimes peace of mind just costs a little more !

Comment

Working...
                    X