70 tlrt running issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 tlrt running issue

My son has a 70 tlrt with low hours on it. Ran awesome until it displayed roughness and wouldn't go over 2500 rpm. we assumed there was something in the gas and he rebuilt the carbs. once again still idle issue. while inspecting after that and setting carbs to 1 1/4 turn out , I noticed the oil pump wiring had been cut by what I think is flywheel so I got out solder and shrink wrap and repaired.to my amazement the boat ran perfect after that, as tho we thought. We took it to Madison lake and it ran great all morning and by afternoon early throttle a little rough but the full throttle was good. well we went in and ate and by the time we got back the boat wouldn't start or run. So once again I assume gas so we rebuild all 3 carbs again with needles and gaskets and measure the floats. Empty all gas and fill new and also put on a fuel/water filter. Still having problems with running rich and roughness. Any incite on anything I can check? Its getting late in season and hes been without his boat for 2 months now. Its his tranquilizer :-) Please Help...

Sir,

Please provide all the information on the data plate...which is on the side of the transom bracket.

Then the fine gentlemen on here will offer thier advice..

Comment

70TLRT
      6H3 L 485768
      Y
      here is the rest of the numbers. Thanks.....Keith

Comment

You say there were wires cut by the flywheel and you repaired them...I am wondering about the condition of the whole wire harness and how a part of it got close enough to the flywheel to be cut?

Are you the original owner of the engine? Does it look like the engine harness is installed properly in general? Or look like it has been off, loosely attached things like that?

One last question...any other wires that were close to the ones that were cut?

Comment

Originally posted by keifers1 View Post
          My son has a 70 tlrt with low hours on it. Ran awesome until it displayed roughness and wouldn't go over 2500 rpm. we assumed there was something in the gas and he rebuilt the carbs. once again still idle issue. while inspecting after that and setting carbs to 1 1/4 turn out , I noticed the oil pump wiring had been cut by what I think is flywheel so I got out solder and shrink wrap and repaired.to my amazement the boat ran perfect after that, as tho we thought. We took it to Madison lake and it ran great all morning and by afternoon early throttle a little rough but the full throttle was good. well we went in and ate and by the time we got back the boat wouldn't start or run. So once again I assume gas so we rebuild all 3 carbs again with needles and gaskets and measure the floats. Empty all gas and fill new and also put on a fuel/water filter. Still having problems with running rich and roughness. Any incite on anything I can check? Its getting late in season and hes been without his boat for 2 months now. Its his tranquilizer :-) Please Help...
          You are talking about the wires going to the oil tank? If so, you may want to go back and revisit your wire repairs. I think these are the oil level sensor wires you repaired, Then the engine ran great.

If CDI gets a bad signal from oil tank level sensor, it can put the engine into RPM reduction mode. A warning to the operator that something is wrong.

Do you have oil level warning lights and/or alarm buzzer?

Comment

Inspect your fuel pump specifically diaphragms, parts 17 & 20:

1995 70TLRT Yamaha Outboard FUEL Diagram and Parts

Leaking diaphragms WILL cause the engine to run rough and rich...

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The warning buzzer was on when the wires were cut. all were off when resoldered. i think when my son and his cousins cleaned the carbs originally they didnt rout the cables correct. this motor is so clean inside i'm sure nobody has messed with it. my son did say that this problem was slowly happening to begin with. we cleaned the carbs because we assumed there was crud in the gas.Maybe there is something electronic. fuel pump was replaced, fuel filter, new plugs and all gas siphoned out the second carb cleaning.

Comment

fuel pump replaced. but tell me why some have a 3 hole gasket and the one i took off and replaced didnt have a gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by keifers1 View Post
                  fuel pump replaced. but tell me why some have a 3 hole gasket and the one i took off and replaced didnt have a gasket.
                  Wrong part, updated part, dunno..

If you look at the spark plugs, is one any blacker/ wetter than the others?

When they cleaned the carbs, did they pull ALL the jets, main and idle especially and check that ALL ORIFICES WERE CLEAN / CAN SEE THRU?

If they simply sprayed with carb cleaner, it don't count...
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    Wrong part, updated part, dunno..

If you look at the spark plugs, is one any blacker/ wetter than the others?

When they cleaned the carbs, did they pull ALL the jets, main and idle especially and check that ALL ORIFICES WERE CLEAN / CAN SEE THRU?

If they simply sprayed with carb cleaner, it don't count...
                    We did all jets and orifices when we cleaned the second time. thats why i did it to double check what they have done. i have not looked at the plugs tho. I did do a compression check and all came back good (about 120 a cyl )

Comment

Look at the plugs and see if one is running different than the others, just to try and narrow down IF one cylinder in particular is the issue..
                      Scott

Comment

[QUOTE=TownsendsFJR1300;145997]Look at the plugs and see if one is running different than the others, just to try and narrow down IF one cylinder in particular is the issue..[

I will check tonight.....Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                          You are talking about the wires going to the oil tank? If so, you may want to go back and revisit your wire repairs. I think these are the oil level sensor wires you repaired, Then the engine ran great.

If CDI gets a bad signal from oil tank level sensor, it can put the engine into RPM reduction mode. A warning to the operator that something is wrong.

Do you have oil level warning lights and/or alarm buzzer?
                          The warning buzzer was on when the wires were cut. all were off when resoldered. i think when my son and his cousins cleaned the carbs originally they didnt rout the cables correct. this motor is so clean inside i'm sure nobody has messed with it. my son did say that this problem was slowly happening to begin with. we cleaned the carbs because we assumed there was crud in the gas.Maybe there is something electronic. fuel pump was replaced, fuel filter, new plugs and all gas siphoned out the second carb cleaning.

Comment

OK thanks..just trying to tease out the information of what is happening...ie the alarms.

As Scott said see if you can narrow it down to one cylinder...check your plugs for condition and see if all are firing.

If you find one cylinder not firing you can swap coils around to prove out the coils.

Comment

the plugs are all the same shape. Will post a pic. looks fouled but all same shape. cant access photos at work but will try tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X