• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you could sell them on e bay, someone may want them

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      you could sell them on e bay, someone may want them
      The whole kit brand new is only about $30, so used parts maybe not valuable....like everything else on outboards, the trick is to replace the item sometime Before it fails..

Comment

Definitely replace at least the impeller.

Especially as the smaller engines seem to have the veins break off with old age, etc..

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          The whole kit brand new is only about $30, so used parts maybe not valuable....like everything else on outboards, the trick is to replace the item sometime Before it fails..
          what is the cost of the impeller and gaskets/o rings needed to do the simple impeller change for your motor?

Comment

what is the cost of the impeller and gaskets/o rings needed to do the simple impeller change for your motor?
            Really just a few dollars less....I guess the only parts that get much wear are the cup, impeller and wear plate...

Comment

I would think there are two areas that one shouldn't worry about excess service.
              Cooling and quality fuel delivery. These aspects are cheap compared to associated repairs.

I'll add lower unit to the list also. Why wait until seals are leaking? A device that turns the power 90 degrees is known for failure....
              Last edited by pstephens46; 08-22-2017, 08:10 PM.

Comment

If I were doing it myself, then maybe only the impeller if all else looks perfect. Not likely because I'd hate to disassemble only to wait on a parts order.

If serviced and only by a certified Yamaha tech, the total cost doesn't justify difference between kit and impeller and you're not depending on another's judgement.

I think prudence on change out interval with respect to use and vigilant observation is a better path. Also renewing all wearing surfaces likely results in greatest life.

Comment

To add to Throrpe' post, most shops will ONLY INSTALL the entire kit.

Keeps guessing and "do-overs" as time is money....
                  Scott

Comment

Well, I replaced my water pump today using the entire "kit" and as usual most parts including the impeller looked fine....I understand that Yamaha has changed their water pump replacement recommendation from yearly to every 30 months which seems to make good sense, at least in my case. On my old C90 I can replace the water pump and fuel pump every 3 years for a parts cost of $70, so it works out financially pretty darn well. Think I'll just my old 1999 C90 for another decade or so!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                      Well, I replaced my water pump today using the entire "kit" and as usual most parts including the impeller looked fine....I understand that Yamaha has changed their water pump replacement recommendation from yearly to every 30 months which seems to make good sense, at least in my case. On my old C90 I can replace the water pump and fuel pump every 3 years for a parts cost of $70, so it works out financially pretty darn well. Think I'll just my old 1999 C90 for another decade or so!
                      Hey Robert, where did you read or see that information, 30 months?

Scott

Comment

Andy Munao at SIM told me that during our discussion of water pump replacement frequency....he's usually a good source of information...to me anyhow....

Comment

Thanks Robert.

That just happens to be about the amount of time since a MT did my last one (and this new one) and it too was in very good shape.

Just a very little amount of set...

The mid section bearing was pretty dry..
                          Scott

Comment

running shallow water will eat them up quickly

Comment

running shallow water will eat them up quickly
                              Yep, I agree....the frequency of replacement has to come down to the type of usage....saltwater, sandbars, oyster bars, etc. and once a year should still be about right. I'll pop my new fuel pump on today and should be good to go for a while. These old "C" Yamahas are nearly as trouble free/bulletproof as outboards are likely to get!.....

Comment

Just noticed that newer water pump on F engines don't have plastic spacer and metal collar, don't have three washers above impeller, as older engines have. Rubber impeller already jammed very tight inside water pump stainless steel cup and plate may be later those parts were considered useless? may be older engines may work without those parts? Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X