Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Not Sure What To Call This–Fuel Related

'98 S115TLRW

Over the past dozen or so boat excursions the engine will occasionally sputter. This occurs only after jumping up on plane after cold start and warm up–slow idle out of ramp area (50 yards). It will also occur after jumping up on plane after the warm engine has been shut off for an extended period of time (1-1.5 hr).

I'll do my best to describe....As I throttle up the 1st 1/3rd it sputters a split second, then kicks in, sputters, kicks in, etc. I never lose momentum, or stall. It's keeps running and firing through whatever is happening. It feels as if unburned fuel has built up in the chamber, and as I give more throttle the pistons start firing enough to combust residual fuel. That's my theory of course. The time interval this is occurring is about 2-3 seconds, then all is good. This engine being carb'd, of course the my first thought were clogged jets. But I've experienced that before and it's nothing like this sputter, and also because it's only happening at the two previously mentioned events.

My engine runs like a beast otherwise. The only adjustment I've made recently is reduce the idle rpms via the idle speed screw from 600-700 to 400-500. Why? I watched one of Dangar's youtube tutorials about fine tuning your engine. He stated that despite what a manufacturer lists as spec idle rpm range, it's best to get the idle rpms as low as you can before stall (good for LU). So I gave it a try. Could this lower than spec idle rpm of 400-500 be the reason?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

sounds like a cylinder or 2 is not burning properly until motor warms up.
    if you want to know if the low out of spec idle RPMs have something to do with it, raise it back to see

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      sounds like a cylinder or 2 is not burning properly until motor warms up.
      if you want to know if the low out of spec idle RPMs have something to do with it, raise it back to see
      Sometimes the simplest and obvious is overlooked. That's what I'll do, thks.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
      X