Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOS: Yamaha with trim/tilt problems!

Hello!

I took my new boat out for our first trip since passing my boat test and whilst we survived.. when we took the boat out of the water, i couldn't get the motor to come up so we had to find a screwdriver and do it manually..

Whilst out i used the trim button both on the throttle and on the motor, both were working fine.

HOWEVER, during the trip, on the gauge on my "dashboard", it was flashing on the top grey bar, regardless of the fact the motor was going up or down.

It was only at the end of the trip that i noticed that the motor was no longer responding and there was just a click each time we pressed the button on the throttle or motor.

It is a Yamaha 40CV 2005.

I have tried to test the motor by disconnecting the blue and green cables.. attached one to a battery and earthed out the other, and there is nothing, but who knows if i was testing the right thing!.. i am pretty sure it was the cables going down to the trim/tile motor.

When pressing either button on the throttle or on the engine, there is just a click (so both switches are working).

I have checked the fluid, this is full.

Tomorrow i am going to try and get the motor off as there is visible corrosion on the outside.. who knows what is inside..

The boat had been parked up for a year, however, the motor had been serviced and the trim was working when i purchased... the mechanic is on holiday for the next 10 days, so i am hoping to get a head start on fixing it!!

Any opinions would be gratefully appreciated!!!!

Thank you

if you removed the large green and blue wires from the relay and applied power / ground to them,
    then you did indeed directly test the motor;
    and if it did not then run, the motor is the problem.

(and btw the trim gauge, and its indicating sensor, are completely separate from the trim/tilt mechanism - so that's a separate, different issue)

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply.

When i removed the green and blue wires, i picked them up further along the circuit after the main relay on the second "junction" box where the wires join from the relay with the wires that go to the motor.. was this correct? I hope this makes sense.. i will post a photo tomorrow..

Is there anyway i can test the current arriving at the motor with a multimeter?

Next step do i check for any corrosion at the motor? Or do i just buy a new one now?

Thank you

Comment

follow the wires from the T&T motor to the relay,
        disconnect them from there
        and then touch them to + and - on a 12 volt battery.
        I motor does not run the motor has a problem.
        never seen a second junction the T&T wires run to

motor pulls too many amps to be testing current with a multimeter
        Last edited by 99yam40; 08-16-2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I have become an expert on the subject in a very short time,,,by no choice of my own..nyway trace the two wires coming from the tilt trim motor,disconnect them and jump the direct to power ,blue to positive -green to negetive to trim up,then green to positive and blue to negitive for down.if that works then your trim motor is good.its either a relay or a switch.ez peezy.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

I will disconnect again today and double check the motor is not working with the battery.. then i will take off the motor for inspection and make sure i order the right one!

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X