Painting lower unit F250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting lower unit F250

any tips, process on re-painting my lower. Plan on having the OEM spray paint and I guess some kind of clear coat to give it that shine.

what sanding, prep work would I need to do. Not trying to look like new, just dress it up some.

thanks

If any bare aluminum it will need to be primed with the etching primer

Comment

A zinc chromate primer is recommended, although it is getting harder and harder to find. Zinc phosphate has taken its place. I found chromate at an airplane supply depot; not cheap either...like $100/qt. But I was painting 4 lowers. Wet sand with 400 grit, then 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear. Observe proper flash times.

I used colorrite paint and clear the 1st go around; I would NOT recommend using at least their clear...it did not cure well, and their paint is terribly over-priced. Find your local auto paint supplier. Have them color-match what you have. Colorrite is $200/qt. I had my local auto paint supplier color match PPG paint for $60/qt. Match was perfect. Their (PPG) clear is superior as well.

Comment

Not sure what happened to my initial post...

Also...if you use rattle can spray paint, you will still need a 2 part clear. regular clear in a can will not hold up and yellow quickly.

You can get a 2 part clear in spray can; use the gloss.

Eastwood's 2K AeroSprayâ„¢ High-Gloss & Matte Clear

Comment

Working...
        X