Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

Need advice...boat has a 1998 Vmax 200 Yamaha***o66 .. starts fine first time in the morning, make run to fish spots then try to start and it's flooded. for some reason the fuel is flooding the intake. Any advice of what could cause this. Thanks in advance.

Just curious...what are you seeing/hearing to make you believe it's flooding?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

It just turns over doesn't fire sometimes you can't hold the gas halfway down and it will fire other times you have to help the gas all the way down in the fire. It keeps dumping fuel after you turn it off

Comment

I think you need to better describe what you mean, things like "help the gas all the way down in the fire" is rather obscure to me.

Comment

I believe they are dealing with a language translator on the web.

he has fuel dumping into the silencer/intake cover .

pressure regulator or vent from VST

Comment

I am reading it as he/she believes the motor is flooded and to clear the flooding the throttle is advanced half way open or all of the way open while the motor is being cranked, to clear the flooded condition. And wants to know what may be causing it to flood.

But I am guessing. Maybe he will post back and we shall unfurl the mystery.

Comment

Okay, the phone changed my wording. The boat fires up the first time, every trip to the lake after you take off and get to your fishing spot and kill it the boat will not start again on the first try. You have to keep trying it will turn over, but does not fire. If you hold the gas down about half way it will eventually start. It acts like it is flooded.

Comment

I've been having similar issues and my research has pointed to the low pressure fuel pumps.

I'm changing mine out this week and will see if it solves the problem.

I'm sure someone more in the know may correct me on this; but from what I understand the diaphragms inside get little holes and leak when you shut down the engine. That fuel gets into the cylinders and causes a sort of vapor lock. That's why opening the throttle gets it to start up.

I'm not sure of a testing procedure on them which you may want to do first - mine are in bad shape and I had planned on replacing anyway.
                - Eazy Life

Comment

We don't have the same engines - but I swapped out the LP fuel pumps on Thursday, ran the boat yesterday anr after about a 15 mile run and a 3 hr stop she started right up. Multiple stops on the return and always started with just a turn of the key.

Last weekend after a 15 mile run and 2 hr stop she wouldn't start without some throttle work and that continued for the rest of the day.

The only thing besides the LP that was different was a full tank of gas. So that was my issue. And the parts are inexpensive and fail often. So I would start there.

I also read to be sure and prime the bulb before each start, or at least make sure it is hard. I know that seems basic, but we all forget at some point. Also turn the key to on and wait a few seconds before starting to let the pump prime.

Hope this helps.
                  - Eazy Life

Comment

try to run in neutral couple minutes before shutdown, to cool it off
                    Last edited by amahaork; 08-21-2017, 10:12 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Working...
                    X