F225 won't go in neutral/reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225 won't go in neutral/reverse

I have 2004 F225 engines with 600 hrs. The port engine had a new powerhead 2 yrs ago. It was always a bit stiff but worked.
    Yesterday coming into the dock the port engine stuck in forward -wouldn't go into neutral or reverse.
    Today I disconnected the shift cable at the engine mechanism and had someone move the shift control lever at the binnacle and move it forward, like it was going into gear- the shift cable moved towards the front of the engine (shortened up). Had him put the lever back to neutral and reverse- no movement on the cable end- it stayed in the position where it was when on gear.
    I was able to move the shift rod lever bushing in the shift mechanism towards the back of the engine (about in the middle of the bracket in which it rides) and reconnected the cable to the engine linkage. Started the engine and it was in neutral. Shifted into gear and it revved up but would not go back to neutral.
    The other piece of info is when the cable was disconnected from the engine linkage, I could pull it out to where it would go over the round piece pin in the neutral position but it wouldn't extend any further.
    Any ideas? Maybe it's an issue in the binnacle?

These engines are driving me nuts!

It is not a motor problem if the cables do not move as they should

has to be in the control
    Last edited by 99yam40; 08-10-2017, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply- all help is greatly appreciated.

That's what I figured - must be something in the binnacle. But what could cause the cable to move only in one direction and not move back and forth??

Comment

I was going to write that but worried it might come across as sarcastic.....

Comment

Agree they're 13 yrs old but still work.
          The question remains- why would a cable move in one direction but not the other? Is there some way the cable is attached in the binnacle that would allow the cable to slip?

Comment

Is the sheath moving also on either end?
            if not I have no idea how that can happen

Comment

It's not moving at the engine side- I checked it carefully. I'll pull the binnacle tomorrow and check that end. Maybe that's the source of the problem?

Comment

cables simply last forever.

Comment

Working...
                X