Yamaha 9.9 won't shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 9.9 won't shut off

Was suggested that I start a new thread so here goes.
    My 9.9 won't shut off with the key. I changed the ignition switch and have tested the WHITE wire from the control box right back to where it disappears into the heart of the engine.
    My questions are:
    Does the ignition switch and the kill switch operate independently or do they have to work together. Maybe I have to replace the kill switch ??.. I did unplug the white wire from the kill switch , but didn't make any difference.
    Can the problem be on the other end ? cdi box ?
    Can the black wire be the problem ?
    Anyone with similar experience. please jump in !

at the CDI there is a bullet connector.
    with the switch off and the lanyard pulled you should have a closed circuit from the harness side white to engine ground.

Comment

Sorry.. not sure what you are telling me here.. I am not real experienced with these issues..What I want to know is oes the key send a signal to the lanyard/kill switch when it is turned to the off position ?
      Is it possible , that even though I replaced the ignition switch, the kill switch might be the problem ?

Comment

The key switch and the kill switch are completely separate from each other but they both do the same thing to stop the motor. They connect the white wire in the engine harness to ground.

It was suggested that you find the white wire coming from the brains of the motor and check the connector to it for the presence of a ground. There should be one if either the key is in the off position or the lanyard is pulled.

Comment

Thank You... will check that out... That is what I wanted to know..that the 2 switches work independently of each other.. so even if the kill switch was defective, the key should still turn off the engine.

Comment

So I have ground on the switch side of that connection when the key is off. I think that white wire goes to the CDI ? Or does it ground on engine block ? Can't really follow it after the connector.

Comment

Comment

Never did find that CDI box, but while looking came across a broken ground wire. Fixed that and everything is working. Thanks so much for the help.

Comment

Glad you got your engine fixed...Next time you are looking for a component on your engine, just look it up in the "Purchase Yamaha Parts" on the top of the page here. Take the part number and Google it. click Google images and more than likely you will find a picture of the actual part. Mr. Google knows much.

Comment

Working...
                  X