1995 yahmaha trl 150 lower unit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 yahmaha trl 150 lower unit question

HI everyone. I'm new to the sight. I'm from Louisiana and fairly new to boating. I really appreciate the opportunity to be part of the forum and hope to be able to contribute if I can.
    My question is, I have a 1995 kingfisher with a pro v 150. Here a while back it started making a faint rattling in what sound like the lower unit. I checked the oil and had a little metal in it but nothing major in my opinion but I don't really know what would be normal. Anyway, a couple of days ago I went out and the rattling got really bad so I tried idling back but before I could get back the motor starting locking up and dying in forward. It ran fine in reverse and neutral with hardly any rattling. I killed the motor and *****ed back. Once home I tried to start the motor and it was locked up. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any info, I'm really lost here.

Drop the lower out and see if the engine is still locked up....hopefully it's just the lower unit gone.

Comment

Shouldn't be any metal... No water, milky white oil?

Also, make sure your in neutral when pulling the LU...

Plus 1 on the LU being damaged...

May I ask how long you've had the rig? (IE fairly new to you?)

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have had the rig for about a year. What I mean by fairly new to me is I have never owned a boat this big (hp ). I've had smaller aluminum boats with small motors, never have fooled with a "big bass rig".
        I bought a shop manual and was thinking about tearing the lower unit down myself but from what I see it looks like a lot of specialty tools will be needed. I'm pretty handy with the motors but don't know about this one. Any thoughts? Should I take it to a boat mechanic?

Comment

have you pulled the lower unit yet to see if that is what is locking up the motor?

Comment

As yami40 said you can drop the lower unit out yourself. By doing so you can determine if the problem is the LU or the power head. With the LU off you can hook a garden hose to the water tube in the midsection to supply water to the engine and run it to see if the rattling is gone. If so, you will know the LU is the issue.

Now after saying that, removing the LU is a simple procedure (see your manual) BUT, because it is a 95 engine you may have trouble with removing the bolts due to corrosion. Or they may all come out easily. It all depends on how the engine has been maintained over the years.

Yes you are right about repairing the LU...it takes some special tools. So you may want to get it overhauled or replace it with a good used unit...if it is buggered.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
            X