Shift cable adjustment 200txrr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift cable adjustment 200txrr

I have a new used lower unit on, and it shifts fine and it goes into neutral when it should. But I have a little bit of "clicking" when spinning the prop in neutral. Is it possible to adjust this out or is it just the clutch dog? I haven't tried adjusting it yet because I don't want to mess it up. Also if the engine is in forward am I supposed to be able to spin the prop backwards? I can't do that, but some things I've read about other lower units say that you can spin the prop backwards and it sort of rachets. Thanks for any help

Probably the dog clutches just barely touching each other when in neutral...try a slight adjustment on the shift linkage/ shift rod....whatever is the proper procedure for your engine.

When in fwd you should be able to rock the prop back and forth say 15-20 degrees. That is the gap between the "dogs" on the clutch when ingaged.. As for turning it backwards...I never seen one in my limited experience that would Rachet backwards...someone else on here may know of this though....

Comment

some units will some will not. most V6 Yamaha wont.
      most mercs will ratchet.
      don't sweat it.
      the Yamaha shift slide has an alignment mark.
      why not use it?

Comment

If you needed a new lower end, I suspect your shift/throttle cables may be aged. If they are binding, you may not be shifting completely into neutral. IMHO these cables are low cost maintenance items easily obtained here and replaced within a half hour. When I renewed ours, I couldn't believe the difference.

Comment

New lower unit was due to water in lower unit not wear. Cables are only a year or two old, and I adjusted it all out. Thanks for all the help 👍🏻

Comment

Working...
          X