oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak

does anyone have a clue why the oil is leaking from the pump on my 1990 40hp 2 stroke yamaha. model ETLD.

depends on where on the pump it is leaking

Comment

Why is probably because a sealed connection has failed.

Yes, need to know from where the leak is.

Is it the inlet tube, one of the three outlet tubes or is it at the point that the pump attaches to the crank case? There are clamps that secure the tubes to the oil pump. There is an O ring between the pump and the block. The hoses themselves might have failed.

Or possibly a connection up at the bottom of the tank has failed allowing oil to drip down to the pump. Where one finds a leak is not always where the leak actually is.

Comment

Thanks for responding. all the hose connections are dry. I am confident the leak is coming from the where the pump mounts to the block. I replaced the o ring and found that someone had removed the pump and the distance collar which fits into the block. The collar appeared to have been damaged when it was removed. It is made of a very soft alloy. I ordered a new collar from the parts diagram and it has arrived but looks nothing like the original and I don't see any way it could be a retro fit replacement part.

Comment

The same collar part number used on your model (6H1-13117-01-00) was used on the very first 40 HP model that was available here in the USA. Same part number was used on the last 40 HP model that was available circa 2005.

Comment

that is the frustrating thing. The replacement looks nothing like the collar on my motor. I am reaching the point of disabling the pump and mixing my fuel and oil in the tank old style. I would rather keep it stock, but oil is too costly and messy to put up with this leak. I am wondering if a shop manual with good illustrations is available that would show the proper pump/block set up with seals.

Comment

take a pic of the two side by side and post it here so we can see what the problem is

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter View Post
                that is the frustrating thing. The replacement looks nothing like the collar on my motor. I am reaching the point of disabling the pump and mixing my fuel and oil in the tank old style. I would rather keep it stock, but oil is too costly and messy to put up with this leak. I am wondering if a shop manual with good illustrations is available that would show the proper pump/block set up with seals.
                Certainly there are good illustrations for you to work from. Either from the SM or the parts catalog. Below is from a Yam parts book. The image below is degraded a bit due to my image capture software.

Without having a history of the motor I would put it back into the production configuration, using the parts called for in the Yamaha parts catalog. Inspect your pump to see if it has 6H4 marked on it.
                Last edited by boscoe99; 08-05-2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Purpose of distance collar? Insulator?

Comment

Only rodnut knows and he ain't talking. He does not believe in transparency.

Comment

Maybe he can LEAK the info to the Washington Post.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I took a photo on my phone of the collar that was in the pump while I had it apart. I am tech challenged so if i can figure out how to send it, I will take a pic of the part I ordered as well. I know the history of this motor. I inherited the pontoon and motor from my father in law and this leak has been an on-going thing. He did have it in a local marine repair shop for a tune up and service and asked them to see if they could find and fix the leak. The shop said they were unable to repair the leak. They were not a Yamaha certified shop. I am now considering the idea that they may have installed a collar that seemed to fit from a different brand of motor. The collar had obviously been scratched and marred. I installed it back into the motor so I could run the boat while my grandkids are here from out of state. Priorities,Right?

Comment

comparison pics
                          Attached Files

Comment

one on the left is the part on my motor, on the right is part called for.

Comment

My guess would be that someone installed the wrong part along the way. Wrong parts don't seal some times as well as correct parts.

From what I can tell based on some Yamaha images, the part on the right appears to be the correct one.

Comment

Working...
                              X