X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Originally posted by panasonic View Post
    I enjoy your posts and have learned from them...so keep on at it.
    +2 ^^^^^..........

Leave a comment:

• panasonic
    replied
    Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
    I'll take that bet!

I joined this forum late last August when I learned what cantankerous bitches these 4 strokes could be. I have learned a LOT since then. And much of it from the threads in which the proletariat simply inquired about solutions on how to keep their very expensive transom additions happy. I've enjoyed reading their posts and have learned much from their experiences with their engines. I also enjoy knowing how mechanical things work, even though I am not a trained technician. And, I also enjoy wrenching (to a degree). Particularly when local labor is over $100 bucks per hour and I yearn to run offshore. Keeping two engines happy can quickly break the bank if I can't step in for the menial issues.

In my line of work, it would be really easy for me to take pot shots at people who inquire about how things work, as they often do. But I go out of my way not to marginalize their ignorance and I don't ridicule their questions. It's not that hard.

While I know next to nothing about my F225 TURDS, I'm not an idiot. I have lived near the water and owned and maintained boats (sail and power) for over 40 years. In that time I have had a professional work on my boats exactly once, when I didn't have the tools or knowhow to replace the seals on an OMC lower unit. In 9 months of Yamaha ownership I have been in and out of both VST's several times, replaced both high and low pressure pumps, all four thermostats, anodes, removed and had reman'd 12 fuel injectors, diagnosed and fixed a starting issue, etc, etc. My engines are almost where I want them!

So, while I shoot myself in the foot here, I don't care. It's no big deal. Most of my knowledge has come from reading other owners solutions.

MANY thanks to all I have learned from on this site.

I enjoy your posts and have learned from them...so keep on at it.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    I'll take that bet!

I joined this forum late last August when I learned what cantankerous bitches these 4 strokes could be. I have learned a LOT since then. And much of it from the threads in which the proletariat simply inquired about solutions on how to keep their very expensive transom additions happy. I've enjoyed reading their posts and have learned much from their experiences with their engines. I also enjoy knowing how mechanical things work, even though I am not a trained technician. And, I also enjoy wrenching (to a degree). Particularly when local labor is over $100 bucks per hour and I yearn to run offshore. Keeping two engines happy can quickly break the bank if I can't step in for the menial issues.

In my line of work, it would be really easy for me to take pot shots at people who inquire about how things work, as they often do. But I go out of my way not to marginalize their ignorance and I don't ridicule their questions. It's not that hard.

While I know next to nothing about my F225 TURDS, I'm not an idiot. I have lived near the water and owned and maintained boats (sail and power) for over 40 years. In that time I have had a professional work on my boats exactly once, when I didn't have the tools or knowhow to replace the seals on an OMC lower unit. In 9 months of Yamaha ownership I have rebuilt both VST's, replaced both high and low pressure pumps, all four thermostats, anodes, removed and had reman'd 12 fuel injectors, diagnosed starting issues, etc, etc. My engines are almost where I want them!

So, while I shoot myself in the foot here, I don't care. It's no big deal. Most of my knowledge has come from reading other owners solutions.

As an FYI, "Backyardians" (as I proudly admit I am(and you are er your description), with over 4 decades of working on engines-no formal training) are often talked down to here.

I've had to repair Yamaha tech repairs myself and fix issues that were mis-diagnosed here (rarely).

With that said, I've learned alot here and continue to do so. It is the most knowledgeable yamaha forum.

My engine is a 2006, considered an "antique" by one, but that's fine.
    Runs better than new (actually idles now vs when new).

Anyway, your not the first, nor the last. Comes with the territory HERE.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-03-2017, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• panasonic
    replied
    Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    What about aerodynamics and thermodynamics?

Does the low water pressure at the end of a 100 foot hose suck the water from the tap and to the end of the hose?

Does low voltage suck the electrons from the high voltage side of a circuit?

Like the low air pressure within a cylinder that sucks in the air from outside the motor? An esteemed author of aviation matters says that this is what happens in a piston engine. When the airplane flies into outer space why does the motor stop sucking?

Heat kills or so I am told. How come a pool of 70 degree water, holding much more heat than air at 120 degrees, will kill someone by dropping their temperature (degrees) too much (hypothermia)?

We refer to the heat (BTU's) index and then express it in the form of degrees.

I wish also that I had paid more attention is school. And read more.

I am so confused. The more I know the less I understand. All the things I thought I figured out, I have to learn again.
    "Heart of the matter" Don Henley

Leave a comment:

• oldmako69
    replied
    Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
    Rodbolt would agree at some point this was a complete
    dckhead thing to write.
    I'll take that bet!

While I know next to nothing about my F225 TURDS, I'm not an idiot. I have lived near the water and owned and maintained boats (sail and power) for over 40 years. In that time I have had a professional work on my boats exactly once, when I didn't have the tools or knowhow to replace the seals on an OMC lower unit. In 9 months of Yamaha ownership I have been in and out of both VST's several times, replaced both high and low pressure pumps, all four thermostats, anodes, removed and had reman'd 12 fuel injectors, diagnosed and fixed a starting issue, etc, etc. My engines are almost where I want them!

Last edited by oldmako69; 08-03-2017, 07:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    Heck I never even owned a 3/4" hose.
    5/8" and 1/2" is all I ever needed

Leave a comment:

• pstephens46
    replied
    Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
    hahahahaaha
    dumbest thing on the net lately.
    flush two motors on the same 3/4 hose.
    really????
    Rodbolt would agree at some point this was a complete
    dckhead thing to write.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Some interesting reads re chemical flushing as water ALONE won't do it:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th19434.html

Post 21 specifically:
    http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...h27868-p2.html

Leave a comment:

• boscoe99
    replied
    Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

I have always wished I understood hydrodynamics - but I don't.
    too lazy to put in the effort necessary
    What about aerodynamics and thermodynamics?

Does the low water pressure at the end of a 100 foot hose suck the water from the tap and to the end of the hose?

Does low voltage suck the electrons from the high voltage side of a circuit?

Like the low air pressure within a cylinder that sucks in the air from outside the motor? An esteemed author of aviation matters says that this is what happens in a piston engine. When the airplane flies into outer space why does the motor stop sucking?

Heat kills or so I am told. How come a pool of 70 degree water, holding much more heat than air at 120 degrees, will kill someone by dropping their temperature (degrees) too much (hypothermia)?

We refer to the heat (BTU's) index and then express it in the form of degrees.

I wish also that I had paid more attention is school. And read more.

I am so confused. The more I know the less I understand. All the things I thought I figured out, I have to learn again.

Leave a comment:

• oldmako69
    replied
    Interesting replies.

I fully realize that flushing two at once is less than ideal, hence my comment highlighted above by Dennis. But won't the length of time have an impact as well? The pressure of the fresh water doesn't dissolve salt crystals, the presence of it does.

I have two hoses at my dock. One gets hooked up to the engines while I wash the boat. I'm old and slow. Hence the water is flushing through the engines for a LONG time, even though its at reduced PSI. The long time interval ought to allow the water to put as much salt into solution as possible because of the volume of water which passes through the cooling system.

I see a lot of watermen tooling around with old Yamaha's. I wonder how often they flush their engines? My guess is never.

In addition to flushing, I'm going to buy a big tub and immerse & run the engines a few times per season using a solvent solution of some sort.
    Last edited by oldmako69; 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fairdeal
    replied
    ok
    but the Yamaha flush port hose - which on the F225 circles the engine - is, what, 8 mm?

that's a cross-sectional area of 50 sq mm

(the "garden hose connector" fitting itself has an ID of 6 mm -
    that's a restriction to a x-section area of only 28 sq mm)

a 3/4" hose has a cross-sectional area of 284 sq mm - more than 5X larger than the hose its feeding

why wouldn't that be enough for 2?

sure, as Boscoe observes, the length of the supply hose is "a factor" - but....

I have always wished I understood hydrodynamics - but I don't.
    too lazy to put in the effort necessary

Leave a comment:

• boscoe99
    replied
    hahahahaaha
    really????

Yes, but there was 30 psi of water pressure. At the tap. Hose was only 100 feet long.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    You need one hose at a time to EACH ENGINE.

Re salt and flushing. I flush religiously, brackish/salt water use.

When I replaced the thermostat, etc, I found some salt build up I did
    NOT expect to see...

Think about it (for salt water use). You run you engine to your fishing spot/beach, etc, turn it off. The engine is nice and hot as the salt water
    drains... Salt cooks and some of it adheres inside the block...

Repeat MANY times for the day, then for the year(s). Salt accumulates, period

Flush all you want. but you likely know how hard that salt is to remove
    by hand
    with a scraper, etc...

Its the same reason engines that have cooling issues, go into safe mode after a certain RPM.

Where's all the salt build up? In the head and lower cylinder water passages, where it's the hottest and the salt builds up the most.

BTW, after replacing a balancer and testing, (engine off), I put the hose AND NOZZLE on the engine flush hose fitting. I could not get it to come out the tell tale. Remove the nozzle, tell tale flows.
    (That's with about 65 PSI, thru 3/4 line-plenty of water)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-02-2017, 09:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DennisG01
    replied
    This is why I think that flushing both engines at once might not be the best idea, and that's also why one engine is reluctant to pee under this set up.
    Yup, I agree. One hose only. Plus, if you do that and you see that the offending pee'r is now doing it proper, you've solved the "mystery". But, yeah, it totally makes sense that you're having that issue with the running on two hoses. FYI, hoses (even city water) never supply as much water as when the gearcase is sitting in water.

Leave a comment:

• rodbolt17
    replied
    hahahahaaha
    really????

Leave a comment:

Working...
X