Shift cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift cable?

Noticed something after doing the water pump. Boat is new to me so hasn't noticed before. But, when going from forward to neutral is normal. But when going from reverse to neutral, the shifter clicks in fine at the helm, but the prop is still engaged in reverse.

If I bump the throttle into forward and then back to neutral is goes into neutral again. Also, from reverse into neutral if you shut the engine off it re-starts even though the prop is engaged (neutral safety thinks it's in neutral)

Is this an old shift cable that needs replacing? Or is there an adjustment on these motors?

2001 150 ox66 (sx150txrz)

Thanks!
    Last edited by JerEazy1; 07-30-2017, 05:59 PM.
    - Eazy Life

dissconnect the cable on the motor and see if the cable and motor linkage in neutral slide together

Comment

This started when you dropped lower unit for water pump replacement?....Maybe drop unit again, put control in neutral, then find neutral with splined shift shaft while rotating prop by hand....then replace lower unit.

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
        This started when you dropped lower unit for water pump replacement?....Maybe drop unit again, put control in neutral, then find neutral with splined shift shaft while rotating prop by hand....then replace lower unit.
        Good call - I marked where the spline was when I disconnected (neutral at the helm) but it may have been an issue before me and I didn't notice.

I'll see if The Admiral can move the controls while I see how movement is.
        - Eazy Life

Comment

Working...
        X