Wiring between Yamaha outboard and dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring between Yamaha outboard and dash

Hey guys new to the fourm. I’m working on a 2000 Hurricane deck boat that the wiring is a mess, someone has cut and spliced multiple times and what has not been cut and spliced is corroded. I’m thinking it would be easier to replace from the 10 pin connector at the motor forward. The boat has a Yamaha 115 on it but the tag with the model number is missing. So not exactly sure what year but looks like a 2000 also. I have done a few searches but not sure what cable I would need to go from the 10 pin connector to the dash. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would think the 1st thing to do would be to find out what motor you have

Comment

this is all that is left of the identification tag.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        I would think the 1st thing to do would be to find out what motor you have
        Why wouldn't Yamaha spent the extra $2.00 to rivet the data plate on.?

Comment

thieves would still rip them off.
          all of the motors I have seen still have the ID plates on .
          even stuff from the 80s

OP look for the alternate serial # and post up that #.
          Boscoe will probably help you find the info

Comment

6E5 is the prefix for a two stroke 115. Look on the block in the vicinity of the starter motor for a round decal with some numbers on it. What are those numbers?

If the control box is a side mount 703 type then the ten pin harness comes with the control box, but it is available as a replacement. If the control box is a top mount 704 type then the harness is completely separate. But a replacement is available.

Other harnesses may be used depending upon the type of instruments used.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...58A-20-00.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html
            Last edited by boscoe99; 07-29-2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the info!! i have the 703 side mount. the 10 pin cable is what i'm looking for . i will check for the numbers on the block tomorrow and let you know what i find.

Thanks again!
              Todd

Comment

easier to simply buy a new 703 box and install new cables.
                changing the harness on the existing box tax's most folks.
                last customer I finally did it after we sold him a harness and the third neutral safety switch. last switch we had in stock that day.

Comment

I have not replaced one before, but I can see how trying to get all of those wires hooked up properly and tucked in there out of the away of all moving parts could be a pain

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    I have not replaced one before, but I can see how trying to get all of those wires hooked up properly and tucked in there out of the away of all moving parts could be a pain
                    The hooking is the easy part. Colour coded wires with bullet connectors.

The tucking part is not so easy.

Comment

i could not find a round decal anywhere. i did find what looks like a round group of numbers that are in the casting. let me know if this is it.

Comment

sorry, here is the pic.
                        Attached Files

Comment

thieves like to remove serial #s so the motor can not be traced.
                          Strange how both are missing

but then this motor does not have much paint left on it from what I have seen.
                          Hard to keep stickers on when the paint comes off too
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 07-30-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Man i really hope this thing has not been stolen at sometime in the past. i purchased the boat as a project (and has it ever turned out to be a project... lol). i did find some more numbers but they are stamped. i also did find a round tag but the numbers (if there were any) are gone. let me know if these help.
                            Attached Files

Comment

For the purposes of your post I don't think the complete model or serial number is needed. If gone, it is gone.

Clearly a 115 model, we just don't know what year. More than likely circa 1999/2000 during which time they were virtually all the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X