extension for onboard charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extension for onboard charger

This is not about a yamaha outboard but more about some wiring questions for an onboard 3 bank charger that I wanted to get some opinions on. I am replacing an old charger that I had custom made with a 15ft lead on one of the wires to be able to reach a cranking battery in the rear of the boat while the charger was mounted under center console. I am replacing it with a new Minnkota but they do not custom make any items so they sale an extension kit to use to extended the leads if needed. Looking for opinions on using the kit (or I will probably just make my own) and where to splice will be vs total length of lead. If I add the extension I will only need about 10ft but the splice will be under the floor in a wet area. Or I can add the entire 15ft extension but keep the splice under the console in a dry area that is easy to get to is needed. So it is either original 5 ft plus 10 ft extension and splice under floorboard or original 5 ft plus 15 ft extension and splice being under console in dry area. I plan on making waterproof connections but does the added length of cable have any down sides as long as the wire gauge is big enough. I plan on using 10gauge since i have some already. May extend charging time a little but not much I would imagine. Minnkota was not too helpful. Just curious and probably over thinking it.

I am also prone to overthinking.

Optimal charging is highly voltage dependent -
    so the simple answer is use wire gauge large enough to avoid a "significant" voltage drop.

but how much is significant?

certainly if I were extending the factory leads, I would use "several" gauge sizes larger...

Comment

also connections need attention often if they are not permanent and sealed real well

Comment

Working...
      X