F250 Variable Camshaft Timing Pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 Variable Camshaft Timing Pulleys

So in the process of servicing the heads of my 2005 F-250 TXR, I rounded the Hex head cover bolt of my the starboard VCT sprocket to get to the attachment banjo bolt underneath.
    Unfortunately, the threading for the pulley was damaged, forcing me to buy a used replacement VCT pulley and bolt cover...

While putting a replacement back on, I noticed that the 2005 model used a part number 6P2-12645-00-00. This was only after mistakenly ordering the part from a 2006 F250, which uses a similar, but very slightly different shaped version, 6P2-12645-10-00.
    See the attached images:

2005_F250_VCT_Pulley.JPG
    2005 model

2006_F250_VCT_Pulley.JPG
    2006 model (notice 6P2-10 stamp and slight shape difference)

The seller did not accept returns, so I attempted to purchase another one, only to mistakenly receive another 2006 model instead.

So with 2 newer model VCT pulleys and 1 old one, my question is whether I can replace the old style with the new one, or do I return the new one and demand an old one?

FYI- I took apart an old one to see how it worked (looks like a combination of Oil pressure and magnetism that retards after a certain amount of centrifugal force?), but notice that the shape of the new and old models are (very) slightly different. The "lobe" parts on the top of the pulley seem to be slightly bigger in the newer model...

2005_F250_VCT_Pulley_Internal.JPG
    Guts and innards of the damaged 2005 model

I actually called Yamaha directly in Georgia, but their response (after many periods of holding) was that there "was no literature" that the 2 are not interchangeable... They customer service rep told me they "should" be interchangeable, but did not sound very certain...
    I have my doubts.

Any mechanics know if these different pulleys correlate directly with the different camshafts of the 2005 and 2006 (or newer) models?

Why wouldn't the 2005 F250 parts diagram say "superseded by 6P2-12645-10-00", and the new model be sold as "fits 2005 and new models" (instead of 2006+ ) ?

Very much appreciate any input!

Tommy
    Last edited by Tombass123; 07-24-2017, 01:33 PM.

Boscoe been stalking Fairdeal....

I say bolt the mothers on and see what happens!

Fairdeal would say "run it like you stole it".

Comment

Clicking on the appropriate part #'s for each year and each unit, as noted the part #'s are different.

If you click on what it fits, NEITHER, per the parts diagram, interchange with the different year engines.

The newer version is considerably more $ as well...

Yamaha, if one part fits many models, WILL post it. With that being said
      (I don't have hands experience with it), I'd be hesitant installing them.

If the same company sent you the second part incorrectly (their fault), CONTEST the charge till they make it right...

BTW, Boats net, here, took back a part (tensioner) I ordered and it came apart(it HAS to be held together tightly) W/O question and I had a new one two days later...

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        Clicking on the appropriate part #'s for each year and each unit, as noted the part #'s are different.

If you click on what it fits, NEITHER, per the parts diagram, interchange with the different year engines.

The newer version is considerably more $ as well...

Yamaha, if one part fits many models, WILL post it. With that being said
        (I don't have hands experience with it), I'd be hesitant installing them.

If the same company sent you the second part incorrectly (their fault), CONTEST the charge till they make it right...

BTW, Boats net, here, took back a part (tensioner) I ordered and it came apart(it HAS to be held together tightly) W/O question and I had a new one two days later...

Did the new tensioner fix the clicking sound?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Did the new tensioner fix the clicking sound?
          The clicking (with the screwdriver) is gone.

Cold, I do still have what sounds like a fan belt noise UNTIL the engine oil gets warm, then it goes away. I'm pretty sure it's the balancer. (type 3). Nice and quiet after that...
          Scott

Comment

Well you could pull the shafts out and put the cover back on. See if noise goes away. Or try full synthetic oil. I read somewhere it tends to coat surfaces and not run off like conventional. Wonder if that is true....

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99
              Here is what page 6-10 of the 2008 Yamaha Marine Technical Guide has to say:
              aha. Have the 2005, 2006, 2007 - but not later.

Yamahaoutboards.com parts showed the -10 introduced in April '08 -
              without any idea of interchangeability ranking - couldn't get involved...

So this part seems like an interesting case, of the Yamaha part # convention

the part number change is ***-***xx-Xx-xx

So it IS a part with a "different specification" - as opposed to ***-***xx-xX-xx

but nonetheless, as you described above, "backwardly compatible"

Comment

Boscoe99- that was a tremendous help!
                THANK YOU!

So from what I see in Boscoe's response is that the 6P2-12645-10-00 is compatible with the 6P2-12645-01-00... This is still different from my 6P2-12645-00-00, but scouring the Internet, I did find a hint that the "00" is compatible with the "01" (both were used on 2005 models).

Of all sites, Amazon actually gave me this information...

image.jpg
                Check out the description section on the bottom...

So through the transitive property, I declare that the 6P2-12645-10-00 is compatible with the 6P2-12645-00-00? (But not vice Versa)

Again, a huge thank you to Everyone here.

Comment

But first, can anyone confirm that the
                  6P2-12645-01-00 and the 6P2-12645-00-00 are truly interchangeable?
                  Amazon isn't the most reputable source now that I think about it...

TownsendFJR1300- thank you for the input. I am in agreement that it's very curious Yamaha would say that the "10" doesn't work for 2006 and later models... But again, speaking with Yamaha, I'm pretty torn over attempting something that could mess up 2 months of work rebuilding this powerhead and valve train...

Comment

Boscoe has tried to explain it - but we're all (I am, anyway) a bit "thick"

here's how Yamaha has stated their system:

from that, I - rightly or wrongly -
                    interpret a part number differencing only in ***-***xx-xX-xx as being prima facie "interchangeable"

Comment

Well... through trial and error, I figured it out.
                      Unfortunately the "01" pulley is not interchangeable with the "00", and here's why:
                      IMG_0112.jpg
                      6P2-12645-10-00
                      IMG_0111.jpg
                      6P2-12645-10-00

See that the lines do not line up on the first image as they are supposed to according to the service manual (see 2nd picture of correct pulley).
                      Now maybe if you took this into account you might be able to continue with orienting the sprockets alignment marks, compensating for the few teeth that are off, but why risk it??

Anyway, now I guess we know that when Yamaha doesn't say if parts are interchangeable, there is probably reason behind it.
                      I'll be returning the 6P2-12645-10-00 for the correct 6P2-12645-00-00 tomorrow.

Thanks to all that helped me through this.
                      I think I'm going to enjoy this board
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Tombass123; 07-24-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombass123 View Post
                        Well... through trial and error, I figured it out.
                        Unfortunately the "01" pulley is not interchangeable with the "00", and here's why:
                        [ATTACH]3388[/ATTACH]
                        6P2-12645-10-00
                        [ATTACH]3387[/ATTACH]
                        6P2-12645-10-00

See that the lines do not line up on the first image as they are supposed to according to the service manual (see 2nd picture of correct pulley).
                        Now maybe if you took this into account you might be able to continue with orienting the sprockets alignment marks, compensating for the few teeth that are off, but why risk it??

Anyway, now I guess we know that when Yamaha doesn't say if parts are interchangeable, there is probably reason behind it.
                        I'll be returning the 6P2-12645-10-00 for the correct 6P2-12645-00-00 tomorrow.

Thanks to all that helped me through this.
                        I think I'm going to enjoy this board
                        Welcome Aboard....

But the name....Tombass? You must explain.

Comment

Tom likes to bass fish would be my guess

Comment

I was reading it another way...

Comment

Plays the bass guitar??
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X