Tell Tail question LF115TXRB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell Tail question LF115TXRB

Since we bought our boat when I use the flush port on the left engine the tell tail doesn't squirt. When I use the muffs or out on the water the tell tail has solid water flow.

I decided to look a little closer at it today. The flush port connects to a T that runs into the exhaust outer cover. The bottom of the T is the output for the tell tail.

I disconnected the tell tail hose from the T. When I run water with the hose disconnected I can hear air coming out of the tell tail port but no water. If I stick a small wire in the hole water will flow out the tell tail port. If I move the flush supply from its original position to the tell tail output water comes out the original supply port.

Since I have never taken off a exhaust outer cover I have no idea if this T has some kind of flow check in it. Or if there could be some salt buildup that has created a venturi?

Can anyone think of a possible issue if I permanently swap the tell tail line and the flush line. I can't imagine this T is anything special. I could buy a new cover but they are not cheap.

Thanks for any thoughts on this..

If it ain't broke, don't be trying to fix it is my thought.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      If it ain't broke, don't be trying to fix it is my thought.
      I know I know. Just thought I'd ask to see if if anyone has shot this bug..

Comment

Yamaha on the topic in their FAQ's

I don’t see water coming out of the overboard indicator when flushing. Is that a problem?

The overboard indicator is for visual verification of water pressure under normal operation. If you are using the convenient flushing attachment feature without running the engine, it is not a problem. However, if you are running the engine while flushing using a flushing attachment like muffs, stop the engine if you do not see water coming out – the engine is not getting adequate water pressure for proper cooling. Correct the problem before continuing to avoid the possibility of serious engine damage.

From what you have said, it ain't broke.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
          Yamaha on the topic in their FAQ's

I don’t see water coming out of the overboard indicator when flushing. Is that a problem?

The overboard indicator is for visual verification of water pressure under normal operation. If you are using the convenient flushing attachment feature without running the engine, it is not a problem. However, if you are running the engine while flushing using a flushing attachment like muffs, stop the engine if you do not see water coming out – the engine is not getting adequate water pressure for proper cooling. Correct the problem before continuing to avoid the possibility of serious engine damage.

From what you have said, it ain't broke.
          Thanks for the research.

Comment

....👍🏻......

Comment

I really do not understand how sticking a wire up the Tell tail allows water to to flow out of it unless there is something acting as a check valve when using the hose flush.
              Along with what would allow air to come out of tell tail when you are putting water in with the hose attachment .
              just does not make any sense to me

were you running the motor when this happened?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                I really do not understand how sticking a wire up the Tell tail allows water to to flow out of it unless there is something acting as a check valve when using the hose flush.
                Along with what would allow air to come out of tell tail when you are putting water in with the hose attachment .
                just does not make any sense to me

were you running the motor when this happened?
                I agree with not making sense and thus my post. Not running the engine while using the flush port. From my understanding is that's a no-no.

I can't imagine there is a check valve in there. I was just throwing out ideas when commenting about the ventori. That's the only thing I can think of that explains what is happening.

Comment

Sounds like there's crap in the hose or "T".

Can you remove those hoses and either blow thru them or use HD weed eater line poking thru with water pressure (from the upper left side fitting)?
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

yea , a piece of trash in the wrong place could plug things up in one direction and not the other

he had a good point, blowing compressed air up the tell tail while flushing with the hose may not be a bad idea
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 07-23-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      Sounds like there's crap in the hose or "T".

Can you remove those hoses and either blow thru them or use HD weed eater line poking thru with water pressure (from the upper left side fitting)?
                      I removed the hoses and ran a cloths hanger the two exposed sides of the T. The third side goes into the exhaust cover.

There doesn't seem to be a blockage. If I run water through the bottom part of the T water flows. If I set the hoses correctly then water flows through the engine but not the tell tail. Its really strange.

Comment

Just watched (yesterday) on You Tube (Danger Marine?), similar (not quite the same) issue.

He put it on muffs (running) and poked with weed eater line and it cleared out.

As yours is only not working on the upper flush fitting, I'd set it up on that hose, run the hose and start poking...

Got nothing to loose but some time and weed eater line...

I read the above posts that it isn't an issue, (and it really isn't as the engine isn't running), but the TT shows there is water to the power head.

You know you have that but it's not coming out...

Just my 2cts.
                        Scott

Comment

two thoughts:

Originally posted by gtreanto View Post
                          The bottom of the T is the output for the tell tail.
                          yes - but only after it passes through the fuel cooler

So if the fuel cooler passageway (or any of the tubing) is occluded,
                          the flow will be affected

2. Here is the exhaust cover viewed from the outside

From the back - "inside" -

its clear that the "Tee" is adjacent to the pressurized side of the "poppet valve"

If the poppet valve is allowing flow - "dumping' -

then the water will "take the path of least resistance" and not also flow to the telltale

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            Just watched (yesterday) on You Tube (Danger Marine?), similar (not quite the same) issue.

He put it on muffs (running) and poked with weed eater line and it cleared out.

As yours is only not working on the upper flush fitting, I'd set it up on that hose, run the hose and start poking...

Got nothing to loose but some time and weed eater line...

I read the above posts that it isn't an issue, (and it really isn't as the engine isn't running), but the TT shows there is water to the power head.

You know you have that but it's not coming out...

Just my 2cts.
                            I tried the weed eater line trick last year and it didn't help. From what I can tell there is no clog. the clue is I can hear air coming out of the tell tail when I turn on the water. Also if I use the tell tail port as the source port water flows fine.

Comment

GREAT INFO Fairdeal.

And with the weed eater line trick not working, a great place to check.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X