Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belt tensioner BEARING failure? Rodbolt, a first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

never seen the bearing fail.
    I have seen the fluid leak out and the tensioner is no longer dampened and it gets noisey.

easy to change,

it is spring loaded and hydraulic dampend.

I have seen a few idler bearings fail on the V6/V8.

Comment

Got the new one late today, it goes on in the am.

The .015" play in my original tensioner is maybe .002" in this one, not .015 as you could visably see in the video's.

The hydraulics's work fine(no leakage and I could feel it work as I un-loaded it & pinned it).

As noted earlier, I could hear a definite "click" from the main tensioner (center) with a screw driver to the unit and my ear (when idling).

The noise I've heard, at the helm was only at idle, but definitely new. Raise the idle to 800, goes away.

I'll post up tomorrow after the install. Thanks all for your responses...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

FIXED!

The new tensioner was installed, (was tighter than the old one) but was NOT the issue.

As previously posted, Yamaha put a type 3 BALANCER in the engine when still under warranty.

Listening closely to the block and revving slightly at the balancer, it had a bit of a whine (50 hours on this Type 3).

Yamaha Tech mentioned any whining (like a super charger) is NOT normal.

Anyway, broke down and bought the Type 4 balancer (from here) and installed this am.

The "belt noise" and slight whine is NOW GONE... Completely! Nice and quiet again.

I did not notice anything unusual about the old one but will inspect later when it cools down some.

Just as an FYI, should you hear what sounds like a squeaky cam belt, look closely as the balancer.

I possibly avoided a disaster(maybe not) but am not worried anymore about a major disaster.

Thanks for everyone's input too!

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X