Yamaha warranty Void

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha warranty Void

I was at the dealer finishing up my new boat build paper work. I ask the salesman . If I do my own maintenance on the motor. Would it void my warranty . He say yes, yamaha wants a certified Yamaha tech to maintenance the motor since it will be under warranty. If not then it would void the warranty .

I'm sure there are "salesmen" who are not lying sacks of sh*t.

but I don't recall ever meeting any.

Comment

Pure rubbish. Complete nonsense. Absolutely, positively not correct.

How do you know that a boat salesman is lying?

Comment

Originally posted by Offshore_life View Post
        I was at the dealer finishing up my new boat build paper work. I ask the salesman . If I do my own maintenance on the motor. Would it void my warranty . He say yes, yamaha wants a certified Yamaha tech to maintenance the motor since it will be under warranty. If not then it would void the warranty .
        To save yourself some aggravation, if you do decide to say, change a set of plugs, heaven forbid, just don't tell them anything about it..no need.

Comment

oil and filters among other things need to be serviced at recommended intervals to keep motors in warranty.

I have heard,but do not know for a fact that as long as you keep the receipts of the proper parts they may accept that

Comment

You guys remember this thread from me a few months ago:

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
            Hey guys. I was over my friends house last weekend and he was showing me his new 2017 F300 installed on his new pathfinder boat. He was told by the dealer that the engine does not require flushing via lower unit intake (muffs), instead having to only use the power head hose attachment. Dealer says a push button turns on the fresh water circulator that powers water through all cooling passages.
            Take it from me, a salesman. You say whatcha gotta say to close the deal. Kudos to the salesperson at the dealership noted above...push button water circulator takes some crafty imaginative B.S.
            Jason
            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

You guys remember this thread from me a few months ago:

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
              Hey guys. I was over my friends house last weekend and he was showing me his new 2017 F300 installed on his new pathfinder boat. He was told by the dealer that the engine does not require flushing via lower unit intake (muffs), instead having to only use the power head hose attachment. Dealer says a push button turns on the fresh water circulator that powers water through all cooling passages.
              Take it from me, a salesman. You say whatcha gotta say to close the deal. Kudos to the salesperson at the dealership noted above...push button water circulator takes some crafty imaginative B.S.
              Jason
              1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

save all receipts .
                use only parts that meet Yamaha specs.
                use only lubricants that meet the specs.
                if anything fails then you still have warrenty if it is a defect in a Yamaha part.

Comment

I’m currently an original owner of Twin 2017 F300’s with 500 hours . So far I needed to replace prop seals, upper seals and shift shaft seal as water was found in lower units. In addition , a trim seal had to be replaced. Never had fishing line wrapped around prop to my knowledge. I have an extended warranty on both engines which is really not worth a dime . I attempted to get both engines serviced by dealer but was told that boat would would be tied up for an unspecified amount of time as they were short handed with mechanics. Decided to do work my self , not too difficult. I’m just amazed how quickly seals went. I owned a 200 mercury engine for 14 years and never had to replace seals. What happened to quality and service these days ? What is the purpose of having an extended Warrenty on engines when they can’t even tell you when they can work on boat ?

Comment

old thread, you need to start your own giving all the specifics.

that includes if you pressure tested and found out exactly what was leaking before replacing all of those seals

Comment

Seals are wear and tear items. Usually not covered by a warranty or an extended service contract.

Were a piston to fail and destroy the motor you might find the service contract to be very beneficial.

Finding mechanics to work on motors, and the needed parts, is another matter altogether. Shops are looking all of the time for good mechanics.

Comment

Bill079 I've got twin mercs two strokes hanging on my transom on 19' catermaran and would not trade for any other motor on this planet. Four strokes have been shoved down folks throats. Unreliable, high mantaince, costly, heavy, expensive........ I luv it when guys say " I'm gonna upgrade to a four stroke...NOT,, lol

Comment

In my opinion , pressure testing is unreliable. You need to have engine under load unless the leak is obvious. Just saying . To play it safe , if water was found in both lower units , it would make sense to change out all. An once of prevention is worth a pound of gold ! An inexpensive fix .
                          Last edited by Bill0749; 03-05-2022, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            Seals are wear and tear items. Usually not covered by a warranty or an extended service contract.

Were a piston to fail and destroy the motor you might find the service contract to be very beneficial.

Finding mechanics to work on motors, and the needed parts, is another matter altogether. Shops are looking all of the time for good mechanics.
                            Yes seals not covered but absolutely should be. I have a motorcycle under warranty and having only ridden it 100km, a front fork seal began to profusely leak. You would not know this until you stop and see the mess. If it was on the fork where the single disc brake was, the autopsy report would guarantee to say the brakes completely failed. This is why seals should meet the same standard as the rest of the machine, and the manufacturer be held accountable for these failures.
                            I subsequently found that the fork tube had rust pits that ripped the seal, so it actually had faulty chrome or was badly cleaned or stored by the motorcycle shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill0749 View Post
                              In my opinion , pressure testing is unreliable. You need to have engine under load unless the leak is obvious. Just saying . To play it safe , if water was found in both lower units , it would make sense to change out all. An once of prevention is worth a pound of gold ! An inexpensive fix .
                              if the seals hold up to the testing in the service manual, the unit should be good to go.
                              no reason to replace all seals if only one shaft has the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X