1992 40 hp low oil consumption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 40 hp low oil consumption?

For the first time in 25 years and while *****ing, the buzzer in the remote shift / start / throttle control sounded in my oil injected 40. Either a 'running hot' or 'inadequet oil injecting' warning, I understand.

The amount of oil consumption has seemed small lately, while water flow and impeller are good.

What volume range of oil consumption is 'normal' during a 25 litre run of 50-50 *****ing and 60% throttle cruising?

The oil intake / filter is accessed I gather at the top of the reservoir tank. Does it just pry out or thread or.....?

There are too many variables for me to hazard a guess as to what the rate of oil consumption should be. If you suspect that the oil flow is on the low side then certainly the screen within the oil tank should be inspected and cleaned. Or replaced if you wish. Most folks complain of over oiling so this is a first for me.

The screen fits onto a sensor assembly. The assembly has a snap fit cap that holds it on the oil tank. Note the position of the sensor and the screen when you remove them so as to reinstall back to the original position. Note that the screen has a seal on the nipple at the bottom. Make sure the seal is installed back onto the filter. Sometimes that seal will remain in the oil tank, in which case it will need to be fished out.

It might also be a good time to drain and clean the tank if this has not been done. There is a sump to catch contaminates. Hopefully, any junk within the tank is down in the sump area.

The oil pump has a control arm that should be set to within specification.

Comment

low oil level in the tank is what would sound the alarm.
      easy to look to see if level was low when this happened.
      If you are worried about the motor not using enough oil then the service manual should have a procedure for testing this.

But cleaning the oil tank/system and testing the alarm is a good thing to do to make sure it is working properly

Comment

Originally posted by Peter's Yamaha View Post
        For the first time in 25 years and while *****ing, the buzzer in the remote shift / start / throttle control sounded in my oil injected 40. Either a 'running hot' or 'inadequet oil injecting' warning, I understand.

The amount of oil consumption has seemed small lately, while water flow and impeller are good.
        Just read about problems with the thermostat the other day. One symptom of thermostat problems can be that the engine "produces" oil. Maybe the oil has been diluted (with gasoline)? High idling is an other symptom...

Comment

oil injected 40 is not a 4 stroke, so will not dilute oil due to stat problems.

we wish everyone would give proper ID of their motor, but it does not happen

Comment

Working...
          X