2002 90Ttlra No Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 90Ttlra No Spark

I have a 2002 90tlra 2 stroke that lost spark. I disconnected the main harness at the engine and put a remote start switch between the brown wire and 12v but still no spark. I am not sure what to do next? I checked for spark with a spark tester, started at 7/16" and went down to much smaller with no spark. Thanks for any advice.

Philip
    Last edited by pjhaddock; 07-19-2017, 08:38 AM.

Are you having a no sparking problem or a no cranking problem?

The brown wire is energized to crank the motor. Has nothing to do with the ignition system. Spark is completely different.

Confusingly yours, Boscoe

Comment

No spark. It will turn over just fine but there's no spark on any of the 3 cylinders. Unless I misunderstood you can rule out all of the front control wiring and kill system by disconnecting the main harness and jumping the start solenoid? Like if the kill switch was bad (it's not I tested it) doing this would bypass it all? Thanks again.

Comment

Perhaps the white kill switch wire is grounded to the block. Check the wire to see if so.

You can also disconnect the white kill switch wire at the CDI. There should be a bullet connector that you simply disconnect. Do that and try cranking the motor again to see what happens.

Comment

Testing/measuring the peak voltages into and out of the CDI should give you some indication of what is going on.
          good in bad out means under the flywheel stuff is good

bad in means you need to be looking under the flywheel at charge /pulser coils/wiring

Comment

So i unplugged the white wire and still no spark. I did check and when the main harness is plugged in it has continuity to ground (on the boat side, not the motor side) on the block, when I unplug the harness it doesn't. I guess I am going to need to find out where it is making ground at at some point? Either way there is still no spark. How would I go about testing peak voltage? I think it requires a special tool? Is there anything further I can do with a DMM? Thanks again.

Comment

when you checked the white with harness hooked up, was the key switch in the off position?

you can test ohms on the coils.

you can check voltage into CDI with meter set to a/c voltage to see if there is any, but cannot compare that reading to specs

Comment

Oh, yes it was off. There would be ground since turning the key off grounds it out to kill the motor. Oops. Am I kind of at a point that I need to take it to a shop where they have the right equipment to get much further?

Comment

If you do not have the knowledge,or equipment and do not want to buy it to test, then yes you need to take it to someone to do some testing instead of throwing parts/ money at it hoping it will fix it
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 07-10-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

I feel I could likely tackle it. I've never taken any of my vehicles anywhere to have work done as I've always done everything myself. Boat motors are new to me and trying to decide if I should get tools in hopes of figuring it out or just take it somewhere. The thought of the $95/hr rate hurts though so I just ordered a DVA adapter to give it a whirl. Once it comes in do I measure for what CDI has in their troubleshooting guide for my motor? There are 2 columns, one says DVA (connected) and the other says DVA (disconnected), any idea what that means? Or do you know of another guide that I should follow? Thanks again.

Comment

my thoughts are testing while coils are connected to the load and unconnected to load

in other words hooked up like it is running or open ended

Comment

So I went ahead and did some resistance testing while waiting on the DVA to get here.
                        Per the CDI troubleshooting if these are the right wires
                        https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...KbTlryl90ijBXj

then this is what I came up with.
                        https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...pyex5QoTBUZkrM

Yes I am positive I had the right wires so what is acceptable as far as the stator goes is backwards? Is the CDI page wrong? Does this mean anything? Thanks!

Comment

Not sure if the info they list is for the replacement CDIs that they make maybe or if they would be the same for factory made ones.

what did you get in the readings on which component?
                          I have no idea what the wire colors are suppose to be for the charge coils

I would find a Yamaha manual to see what they list
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 07-11-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Yeah I looked but couldn't find anything about resistance testing unless I missed it.

Comment

The DVA adapter came in today and here is what I have. It meets all of the what it calls "minimum" except for CDI output. Some of the others are well above the "minimum" but it says that if it's beyond what's listed to replace stuff. I am confused?? Thanks again!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...xxbHg5yEKAF3LX

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...MAsD1JoPxTUAfW

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...588DE5MC2pHyVb

Comment

Working...
                              X