Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what fuel additive is best when filling up, OX66..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what fuel additive is best when filling up, OX66..

What additive is best used when filling up with gasoline for a 2000 OX66 250. I was told seafoam is good. Is there any other additive I should be putting in my tank after each gasoline fillup?

I use Sta-Bil 360 Marine and its done the job well for me.

Here is a quick review of products.

Comment

You need to tell what gas you are using

Comment

Originally posted by hammertimeee View Post
        What additive is best used when filling up with gasoline for a 2000 OX66 250. I was told seafoam is good.
        was it explained what is "good" about Seafoam ?

it contains

"Pale oil" - a petroleum fraction a little "thicker" than gasoline (kerosene)
        "naphtha" - a petroleum fraction a little "thinner" than gasoline (paint thinner)

and some isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol

One might think that the naphtha and/or IPA can "clean" some "gum/varnish" that gasoline can not

but that supposes that there IS anything there to "clean"

and anything the kerosene can do in that regard, gasoline would already be doing better

Comment

I am unable to put much value on personal testimonials like

"I use X and it works"

Reminds me of the joke

"I put pepper on my windowsills to keep elephants out of the house.

I know it works, because I have been doing it for years,

and I've NEVER had an elephant in the house"

Comment

Not an advocate of additives. Fresh fuel is all that's needed and a some WOT every trip .

I can attest, that if there is anything in the combustion chamber TO clean, Seafoam works way better than gasoline. Huge smoke screen in the rear view mirror is proof.

Comment

If you can run your boat as often as Fairdeal, 300 hours per year, you probably don't need any additives at all.

If you store your boat for a several months, many would suggest marine gas

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                You need to tell what gas you are using
                87 octane, 10% E....

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                  Not an advocate of additives. Fresh fuel is all that's needed and a some WOT every trip .

I can attest, that if there is anything in the combustion chamber TO clean, Seafoam works way better than gasoline. Huge smoke screen in the rear view mirror is proof.
                  I havent been using any additive . I just read that Yamaha recommends ringfree because of carbon buildup. I'm trying to avoid that problem

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                    was it explained what is "good" about Seafoam ?

it contains

"Pale oil" - a petroleum fraction a little "thicker" than gasoline (kerosene)
                    "naphtha" - a petroleum fraction a little "thinner" than gasoline (paint thinner)

and some isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol

One might think that the naphtha and/or IPA can "clean" some "gum/varnish" that gasoline can not

but that supposes that there IS anything there to "clean"

and anything the kerosene can do in that regard, gasoline would already be doing better
                    (Isopropyl) Rubbing alcohol. isn't that the same as Ethanol????/

Comment

I havent been using any additive . I just read that Yamaha recommends ringfree because of carbon buildup. I'm trying to avoid that problem
                      And of course Yamaha likes to sell product, that's how they make their money

Like said, I do the WOT every trip and decarb at the end of the season. I never see any evidence the decarb is doing anything...no smoke...nothing

Comment

87 octane, 10% E....
                        Can't remember, did you tell us that NON ethanol is not available in your area of the country?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          Can't remember, did you tell us that NON ethanol is not available in your area of the country?
                          Correct. There are no non Ethanol gas on long island, as far as i know.. Unless someone else here can verify differently?

Comment

E fuel can go bad quickly.
                            if there is any water in the tank it will ruin the octane rating of that fuel.
                            It will also pull water out of the air

once the e has absorbed enough water it will separate and drop to the bottom of the tank. if that is sucked up into the pump and run into the motor it will not burn.
                            removing the ethanol ruins the octane rating of the rest of the fuel and that can destroy the motor.
                            Use something that is suppose to be made for e fuel to stabilize the fuel.
                            Keep the tank free of water
                            keep the tank full to keep the air out of the tank.
                            use the boat often and burn the fuel so fresh can be added often,
                            Yamaha recommends Ringfree plus, I have no idea if the plus is stabilizer or if it is for e fuel. read up on it

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              E fuel can go bad quickly.
                              if there is any water in the tank it will ruin the octane rating of that fuel.
                              It will also pull water out of the air

once the e has absorbed enough water it will separate and drop to the bottom of the tank. if that is sucked up into the pump and run into the motor it will not burn.
                              removing the ethanol ruins the octane rating of the rest of the fuel and that can destroy the motor.
                              Use something that is suppose to be made for e fuel to stabilize the fuel.
                              Keep the tank free of water
                              keep the tank full to keep the air out of the tank.
                              use the boat often and burn the fuel so fresh can be added often,
                              Yamaha recommends Ringfree plus, I have no idea if the plus is stabilizer or if it is for e fuel. read up on it
                              Yamaha claims ringfree is the cure all to all your fuel issues. Look at the cost$$$$$
                              https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...?b=Search&d=34

Comment

Working...
                              X