Yamaha F175xa 2016 Lifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F175xa 2016 Lifting

I have a brand new 10/16 Yamaha F175xa. I am going to install a hydraulic Jake plate and wanted to ask questions on lifting the motor. I only need to unbolt and move back 6-10 inches to slide jake plate on so didnt know if there are anyway you have used to do this? I see that Yamaha makes a "lifting ring" that fits flywheel for $130-150. I can make one no problem but is that the best way to do this knowing that I only need to move it back and not take in completely off/unhooked.

thx
    Andy

There always several ways to perform a task. Some good and some bad. Some are such that I will leave the area before the task is done in a backyardigan sort of way as I don't want to be around when bad juju happens.

If you have the capability to make the lifting ring then that is what I would do. An option would be to see if your local dealer will loan or rent you the tool.

Comment

So for this motor there are no other "factory" lifting points- like on older models then? I am not incline to drop my brand new $13k motor so ask many questions before attempting is my choice

Comment

One lifting point only for your model. It is the "new and improved" way.

For a $13K motor weighing about 500 pounds I would do it the right way. If not, have your cell phone handy with 911 on speed dial. Send us photos of the aftermath. We all like to get a chuckle out of the other fellows misfortunes. It helps us to forget our own.

Comment

Thanks- pretty much figured that was the only lift point- I dont think I am going to use the kids old swing set and a swing chain to hold my shinny new motor. Said part is you know exactly what I am taking about- because we were ALL young at some point.

Comment

lifting to put on a jack plate is not much different than removing completely, just hope the rigging cables and all have enough slack.

need to make sure your lift can handle the load and movement.
            a good smooth concrete floor comes in handy if using a automotive style engine lift.
            not many have hoists on rails around in the garages.

Comment

If you have a welder and KNOW how to use it, I'd personally weld a HD chain link to a HD plate(1/4" is plenty). Drill the plate for the three flywheel holes and get the appropriate bolts.

If you have access to a garage, I've used a 2 ton "come-along" attached to a 4" x 4" + one, attached another across the garage roof truss'.

With a chain around the truss 4 x 4, come-along, then to the engine, it'll easily lift that engine...

Back the boat under the come along, start lifting and un-bolt the engine. Move the boat (the engine's un-hooked) to where you want it, then lower the engine in place and re-bolt it..

As I'll get ridiculed for the above, I last used this pulling a small block Chevy engine and transmission (together) from a 69 Camaro. Just moved the car as I lifted the engine. And a cast iron V8 Chevy and auto transmission is quite a bit heavier than that 175...

Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                An option would be to see if your local dealer will loan or rent you the tool.
                Adding to the option above...every marine service shop that services outboards will have a yamaha ring. Stop in and tell them why you need it, then offer to rent the ring for a day. $5-$10 at most, I imagine.
                Jason
                1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

not many shops will loan out or rent out their tools.
                  have you ever got a loaner tool from Autozone or other auto part stores?
                  they are usually in very bad shape from people abusing them.

and they may need to use the tools themselves.
                  if it is not at the shop they are loosing time and money.
                  now if they have several of the tools and they know you very well, you might have a shot
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 07-01-2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks- I have looked into it and I believe I can get a loaner engine lift for a day- just need to try and get a loaner lift ring or make one. I have enough slack for a 6in-8inch off set so just need to hang the motor just long enough I can get plate on, not unhooking anything from the motor. I am also not in a hurry to get this done right now- might have to wait 3-4 weeks before I get $1,200 to spend on a plate..

Comment

Working...
                    X