flushing device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flushing device

I have an 06 50hp Yammie 2 stroke. Is there a hose flushing device specific to these motors? My old round one from my old Merc is too big. I tried a smaller rectangular one and it was still too tall to seal tightly between the anti cav plate and the fin above. thanks

Use the smaller cup flusher's and be carefull, the shape of the lower housings is that when you put on the flusher, turn water on, the flusher will slide off and then the water pump runs dry. We use bungie cords attached to flusher to keep in place so it dont slide forward or backwards.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

strange, I cannot get this motor to pee using a flushing device. Was peeing fine in the water last weekend. Hope I didn't screw something up.

Comment

not necessarily the best advice as i'm limited in my experience in fixing outboards, but one of my boats was frequently launched from a beach. our beaches around here have quite coarse sand (think 40 grit) and i would frequently get some sucked into the cooling system after recovering the boat. this may not be an approved method, but i used to just stick some weedwacker line up the "pee tube" (sparing the medical term) and that would usually clear it up.

so, if you've ran the boat somewhere decent sized particulate could have gotten in MAYBE try that, if not listen to what the more experienced hands have to say. if the pump was run dry you could have lunched the impeller.

does the engine discharge water anywhere else? exhaust ports on the middle part, or through the prop?

Comment

devrep,
          When my water pump pilot hole, aka tell-tale, side discharge, pee-steam, gets clogged, I like to disconnect the hose from the plastic nipple that is snapped into the lower cowling. I then tape the hose over the side and point it down, and then attach the ear-muffs and run the motor.
          If you get a good "pee-stream", then the hose nipple is clogged. If there is no stream, then there is a problem with the cooling system.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

yes, I tried all that, disconnecting the hose, etc. I put the boat in the water Sunday and again today to do a little fishing in the mosquito lagoon and it pees great, just won't work with the hose device. weird.

Comment

A silly question but... Are you running the motor when you flush it?

Comment

Try this,, while using the flush port (if it has one) or using the ear muffs,,tilt your motor up a quater of the way.. this will assist in the flow of water to the "pee" outlet. Water pressure is the key here.

Comment

For what it's worth:

My F225 does not "pee" on the muffs when vertical but does pee when raised up (like 30%) as noted above. This is with the motor running.

And it pees fine when the motor is in the water.

I however normally only flush it with the motor off and via the fresh water flush connection (garden hose fitting on Starboard side of engine).
                  Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

yes the engine was running. I'll try tilting it next time. I can't find any built in hose connection, don't think the 50 hp models have that.

Comment

Working...
                    X