Warranty Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty Work

I never thought of it, but I just read on another forum where a member is asking if warranty work has to be performed by an authorized Yamaha dealer or a certified Yamaha tech?

I doubt Yamaha would pay anyone that was not a part of their System

Comment

Warranty | Yamaha Outboards

Comment

both
        it must be an authorized dealer that has at least one trained tech.
        school certs must be maintained.

Comment

Warranty work has to be performed by a Yamaha dealer. Either at the dealer's premises (usual) or at a location away from the dealer's premises if the dealer chooses to do so. Any extra costs for the dealer's personnel to travel, say to and from a boat, for the purpose of performing warranty work, would not be covered by warranty. Some folks with large boats find it more practical to pay for travel costs than to rent a trailer and go to the expense of taking a boat and motor to a dealer's shop.

The dealer can use whomever he chooses to do the work. Could be a master mechanic or it could be a new hire who is learning all about Yams. The newbie has to start somewhere.

Comment

I thought that would be the case but thought I'd ask. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              I doubt Yamaha would pay anyone that was not a part of their System
              You are absolutely correct. But as with most stuff in life, exceptions can be made.

Let's say a motor under warranty is in Costa Rica. The owner lives in the US but visits his boat quite frequently. He needs warranty work performed. Does not want to drive the twin powered boat back to Ft. Lauderdale on one motor. The dealer really likes the owner (has sole mucho stuff to him) and will bend over backwards to help. The dealer knows a good Yamaha mechanic in Golfito. Dealer pays the mechanic to do the warranty work out of the dealers pocket. Dealer files a claim with Yamaha USA and gets reimbursed. Owner gets his motor repaired under warranty. If Yamaha USA knows they generally are not going to make a fuss. Their cost is the same. Everybody is happy.

I suppose the remote mechanic could be considered to kinda sorta be part of the dealers System. On a one time basis anyway.

Comment

IN that example ,the dealer paid the mechanic that did the work not Yamaha.
                but then played a **** to get some money from Yamaha.
                so not sure I would say yamaha paid an outsider for the warranty work.
                but at least the Yamaha owner did not have to pay

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
                  I thought that would be the case but thought I'd ask. Thx.
                  A mechanic could be certified by Yamaha but no longer be working for a Yamaha dealer. The mechanic has no way to file a claim and get paid for the parts and labor involved. The dealer is the only one that can do this.

Now if the certified Yamaha mechanic (who no longer works for a Yamaha dealer) has a good relationship with his former employer (the dealer) and the dealer wants to pay said mechanic to do warranty work on the dealer's behalf, then that is something that could be arranged between the dealer and the mechanic.

Say for example the dealer has a long term customer who has bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of stuff from the dealer. The boat and motors are now in Costa Rica. Customer does not want to get the boat and motors back to the US. Dealers have been known to hire non-dealer mechanics to travel to remote locations to do warranty repairs for their VIP customers.

Guess what I am trying to convey is that there are too many situations that arise with respect to warranty claims for there to be any "one size fits all" answer.

Comment

IN that example ,the dealer paid the mechanic that did the work not Yamaha.
                    but then played a **** to get some money from Yamaha.
                    so not sure I would say yamaha paid an outsider for the warranty work.
                    but at least the Yamaha owner did not have to pay
                    If one wants to think of a mechanic who normally does not work for a Yamaha dealer, to be considered a dealer employee (for the period of time that it would take to do a warranty repair), then I would not argue against that.

I suppose it makes sense. Dealer is there to do warranty repairs on behalf of Yamaha USA. In whatever manner the dealer chooses to do the warranty repair is something that Yamaha USA does not need to involve themselves in. Yamaha USA only wants/needs the motor repaired for X dollars and Y parts cost. And for the customer to be happy.

Comment

I wonder if Yamaha would reimburse someone that had work done for a warranty repair.
                      broke down not near an authorized dealer.

seems I have read about other companies doing that on automotive work.

If the OP had something done already , it would not hurt to ask your local dealer if you have a good relation with them

Comment

I wonder if Yamaha would reimburse someone that had work done for a warranty repair.
                        broke down not near an authorized dealer.

seems I have read about other companies doing that on automotive work.

If the OP had something done already , it would not hurt to ask your local dealer if you have a good relation with them
                        That has been known to happen.

Say a USA customer is in the boonies of Canada and gets Joe the Canuck mechanic to repair the motor. customer pays Joe.

Customer contacts his USA dealer. Dealer agrees to reimburse customer for the money he paid to Joe. Or a part of it. Dealer files a warranty claim to get his money from Yamaha USA.

Now hopefully the amount paid to Joe is the same as or less than what the dealer will get from Yamaha USA. If not, either the dealer or the customer may be out of pocket some money. Customer might not mind having to pay a tad towards the repair since his only available option might cost him a whole heckava lot more.

I think this shows the need to have a good relationship with a dealer. If the customer has been pizzy with the dealer he can forget about any of this happening for him.

Comment

it does happen but in the end either a field rep or a dealership must do the paper work.
                          some time back I had an experience with a Tohatsu TLDI50.
                          appearently my name was still in their system even though I have not worked for a Tohatsu dealer in a very long time.
                          however they did authorize and reimbursed our dealership for some warrenty repairs even though we are not a Tohatsu dealer.
                          I also got a job offer .
                          but it had to be authorized by Tohatsu.
                          a local boat builder had mounted and started it when all he was supposed to do was mount it.
                          anyway the control box was a wreck and the oil filter leaked and a few other issues.
                          Tohatsu faxed me a copy of the wiring diagram and I had to call them and point out the error in the diagram.
                          a week or so later two reps showed up and tookl me out to lunch.

Comment

Working...
                          X