Ticking noise coming from prop area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticking noise coming from prop area.

I'm back after fixing my other problems with the telltale barb, water pump and the shaft seals.

I have a 2004 Yamaha F150 TXRC.

Now I want to address the ticking noise I hear coming from the prop when I spin it. If I spin the prop and have someone move the throttle barely towards reverse the noise stops.
    Any tips on adjusting the throttle cable?

Also my speedometer doesn't register speed, I can't remember if it ever worked since I bought the boat. I tried cleaning out the little pip hole on the leading edge of the lower unit that is supposed take in water but I still get nothing.
    Last edited by FL_Marine; 06-23-2017, 06:39 PM.

Fl most on here will need to be given again your motor year hp and model to be of any help
    Dennis
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

if you take the cables off at the motor and put both the con*****er and motor in neutral, you then adjust the cable so it slips on to the linkage without moving either to get it on.

if that does not fix it then there is a good chance something in the linkage on motor is bent or twisted or in the lower unit

Comment

Agreed on checking cables with the shifter that they align with the helm control.

Your's sounds like it's slightly off.

Under the cowl, remove the end of the shifter cable from the linkage. You'll see some marks on that slide(starboard side). Everything, IN NEUTRAL at the engine (helm shifter in neutral), the cable should slip over the engine end without moving anything.

Crack loose the lock nut and rotate the black end of the cable till it slips over easily. You should be good now..

Also, while the LU is off again, there's a small nipple attached to a small black tube. That IS the line for the speedometer.

You can try blowing out from the top end, of right there, but it should allow water/air to pass.

And it's not un-common for the aluminum to corrode in there and clog up.

What I made up to keep it open and clear:
        http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th23159.html

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-23-2017, 07:48 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Dray I edited the first post to have my motor, I forgot to do it initially.

Townsends, I blew through the part on the lower unit while I had it of and everything was clear up to that point. I can't find where the next part comes out under the cowling to see if there is an obstruction from there down or further towards the gauge.

Comment

FL if you click on this site under the red Purchase Yamaha Parts and look up Yamaha outboards and then your year and model you will find under the link upper casing a diagram of the parts for that section of the engine and it shows the hose and nipples and where they are located.

You can enlarge the diagram to be able to see it better but the parts are I think 31,32,33 and 37. May help you locate on your engine.

You can probably then try to blow air from the disconnected engine part back to the disconnected gauge tube and see if it is blocked. I am sure I have read you never want to blow down toward the engine or lower unit as it would push any dirt further in.
            Dennis
            Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Marine View Post
              Dray I edited the first post to have my motor, I forgot to do it initially.

Townsends, I blew through the part on the lower unit while I had it of and everything was clear up to that point. I can't find where the next part comes out under the cowling to see if there is an obstruction from there down or further towards the gauge.
              Ok, good, that helps. And that's where it usually clogs up...

Part #12 is where the water/opening is: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html which inserts into the MID SECTION. Part 13 is an o-ring needed for a good seal and sometimes gets damaged, when getting installed.

if you open up/ inspect where all the wires etc come out of the engine, you'll see a black (like a poly??) hose maybe 5/16" OD coming out.

That IS the speedometer hose. There is a connector that attaches that hose to the same style hose REAL CLOSE to the engine itself, (outside the engine), You'll see where the two hoses come together.

Disconnect it there and blow thru the LU checking to see if that hose is open.

You can also disconnect at the speedometer (it WILL be a pain to remove, you may slowly / very carefully cut the hose off). It needs to be clear as well.

I use this cut down piece of 3/8" of old washer line hose, with the end cut into a "V" (fits tight over the LU-very important) to blow FRESH WATER thru the LU opening to flush.

*The OEM hose is NOT rubber and very difficult to kink. Using water(especially with the hoses disconnected), blowing it upwards should find your speedometer issue.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-24-2017, 07:40 AM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It is possible the tubing to gauge is not hooked up, is plugged, or gauge itself does not work.
                be careful about how much pressure you put on the gauge. it may harm it if too much gets to it

Comment

Working...
                X