parallel accessory battery connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parallel accessory battery connection

I am troubleshooting a voltage problem on my "new" used boat and it appears that the previous owner may have wired the accessory battery connection on the twin F250TXR to a battery selector switch which then connects the accessory battery output from the engines to a third house battery which powers the electronics. My question: Is it OK to have the accessory output of both outboards wired in parallel to a common battery. Thanks

People do different stuff.

By accessory lead do you mean what Yamaha refers to as the isolator lead? Usually the isolator lead goes from the motor directly to what is referred to as a house battery. "House" battery to differentiate it from the starting battery.

In a twin configuration it is not uncommon for the two isolator leads (one from each motor) to be connected to one house battery. In this way, any time either motor is running the house battery will be recharged. Say you ***** with one motor running. The house battery will be getting a bit of charge when you do.

Not sure why the isolator lead would be connected to a battery switch instead of the battery. And if so, how is it connected. Are we talking about a simple on/off switch, an off/1/both/2 switch or...? To which side of the switch are the leads connected?

By the way, what is the problem you are having?

Comment

Not sure why, but Rodbolt mentioned attaching to the "hot" house battery terminal on switch.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        Not sure why, but Rodbolt mentioned attaching to the "hot" house battery terminal on switch.
        Electrically that would be the same.

But for what purpose would this be done? Maybe if the isolator lead is not long enough to reach the battery. But it is having a few more connection points in the loop. Connection points that result in voltage drop. Starting with but ~ 14 volts it is good to avoid anything that contributes to voltage drop. IMO anyway.

In the scheme of life it really won't matter. There are many many cats and many many ways of skinning those critters. The more cats that are skinned the more that my dog likes it. He says that he chases cats because cats need to be chased. And skinned if he can catch one. Which he can't.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Electrically that would be the same.

But for what purpose would this be done? Maybe if the isolator lead is not long enough to reach the battery. But it is having a few more connection points in the loop. Connection points that result in voltage drop. Starting with but ~ 14 volts it is good to avoid anything that contributes to voltage drop. IMO anyway.

In the scheme of life it really won't matter. There are many many cats and many many ways of skinning those critters. The more cats that are skinned the more that my dog likes it. He says that he chases cats because cats need to be chased. And skinned if he can catch one. Which he can't.
          It is fun to watch the cats climb trees...

Perhaps it might be better to have the connection in a drier place, long term. Batteries being in usually a damp place. Provided the switch is not in the bilge. It wouldn't surprise me to find a battery mounted on the keel on outside of boat these days... "dealer said it was more convenient"

Comment

The leads are connected to the motor "accessory battery" output which I think most people refer as the isolator lead. Sorry, first time I have dealt with this. The reason I am asking is that if you look at my previous post of yesterday , I was troubleshooting a problem with my port engine , the voltage output would drop down to below 12V but it only occurred when my starboard engine was running. I checked both at the motor and at the battery terminals. The mechanic at the local Yamaha dealer suggested that I try to find any interconnected wiring between the motors. Today I just found this connection behind a battery switch which was being used to disconnect the output of the house battery to the boat electronics when at the dock. When I separated these isolator leads from each other and just use one to charge the house battery both motors now put out 13.8-14.4 volts to the gauges and their respective batteries. The only confusing thing to me is that I have run this boat for one month and this voltage problem just showed up yesterday. I was wondering if it is possible if the rectifier/regulator on my port engine is going south on me and the interference between them was driving it crazy???? For right now I am going to just charge my house battery with the starboard engine "isolator output" and next week I will install a 3 position battery switch so that I can select which engine will charge my house battery via the isolator output. I spoke to two different Yamaha repair shops and neither one ever ran into this problem previously. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

You could disconnect both isolator leads and run the boat to see if anything changes.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                You could disconnect both isolator leads and run the boat to see if anything changes.
                why do that he has already stopped the problem by disconnection the one.

OP I am with you on this, something is wrong with the RRs or leads if disconnecting it stopped the voltage problem.

should be diodes to keep one from back feeding into the other

Comment

Working...
                X