Question on repower. F115B vs F115SHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on repower. F115B vs F115SHO

Hello forum members. Pulled the plug on my old F115 and I am in the process of purchasing a new yamaha outboard. I have a 2005 Grady White sportsman 180cc which I bought used about 4 years ago. It is powered by a F115 extra long shaft and also has a f20 for a kicker. The boat is rated for 150 hp maximum. I was using a PT 4 blade 13x14 semi clever stainless propeller. Max RPM's were 5600 with my standard fishing load (lots of gear and ice). Power seemed just adequate but, I was getting great gas mileage. My question to the members is that my dealer mentioned that an option to the F115B is the F115sho. He said that this motor is being sold in Australia and Asia as a 130. Other people say that this is a bass boat engine and was made for top end hp. Would this engine be a good alternative for my center console to give it a little extra punch? When I am fishing, I normally stay under 3000 rpm (*****ing) but, I also like to run and gun at times. The weight of the kicker prevents me form considering a f150. Tell me what you think. All inputs are welcome. Thanks.

I would go with whichever is cheaper.

mostly the difference is bold new graphics.

Comment

The VF115 SHO has a 20" shaft length. The boat is made for a motor with a 25" shaft length.

If you select the VF115 SHO you are going to have to use a jack plate in order to lower the motor to get the propelller to the desired height. In which case the power plant will be overly close to the water. And now you have the weight of the jack plate which will mitigate some of the advantage of using a lighter weight VF model.

If it were my boat I would go with the F150XB. I would then move batteries and whatever else that I could forward in order to offset the extra weight of the motor. If the extra weight is a problem.

Or I would go with a lighter weight kicker motor. I don't see an F20 pushing that boat a whole lot faster than a T9.9.

Or, I would go with the F115XB.

Many opinions will vary. Opinions are like air molecules. There are many.

Comment

Dry weight on that boat is about 2200 lbs. Pretty stout. I bet the transom is fairly stout too. I would think it could handle the weight of kicker and F150 no problem.

You could get Grady's opinion. I understand they actually answer the phone up there in NC.

Edit - found the exact model, dry weight 1800 lbs. Tested with a 150 HPDI. Listed as 475 lbs on the sheet.

I would still call them and ask. Who knows?
        Last edited by pstephens46; 06-14-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Dry weight on that boat is about 2200 lbs. Pretty stout. I bet the transom is fairly stout too. I would think it could handle the weight of kicker and F150 no problem.

You could get Grady's opinion. I understand they actually answer the phone up there in NC.
          One of the best boat makers around, from at least a customer support view point.

Grady-White | Contact

Comment

My mistake. I overlooked the fact that the VF115 SHO is also offered in an X length.

Normally, the Vmax models are all 20" motors but Yam has started making some exceptions. I forgot.

My apologies.

But I would still go with the F150.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              One of the best boat makers around, from at least a customer support view point.

Grady-White | Contact
              I would bet their dealers are better than most as well.

Well, if the Grady dealers can wipe their own ass that puts them ahead of most...

That may have been a surly statement Boscoe.
              Last edited by pstephens46; 06-14-2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

There was no slur intended on a Grady White boat. It is just that folks are polarized about GW boats. Owners love them and the non-owners think they are over priced. I don't have a dog in that hunt.

When it comes to customer support I think everyone (owners and non-owners alike) agrees that they are the top of the notch.

Comment

Yikes!

I was agreeing with you on the Grady comment. Actually there are more than a few high end boat manufacturers in NC. Grady, Regulator, Parker, Onslow Bay, etc. many consider them all to be over priced. My slur was directed at most dealers in general. In other words, it would not take much effort to put a dealer ahead of the rest.....

I was busting chops about your use of the word surly a few days ago to describe the forum. That could be considered by many a badge of honor.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I spoke to Grady and they said that they rig all their 180's with 150 power so, it was the west coast dealer who supplied this boat to the previous owner, that replaced the 150 and added the kicker. The thought of replacing the kicker for a smaller and lighter one has crossed my mind. Yes, yamaha does make an xl shaft for the f115sho and yes, it costs about a grand more so Rodbolt17's and bosco99's comments about the f115xb seems to makes a lot more sense. I have emailed grady a few times with questions on getting replacement boat parts and they have always been quick to reply with the information I requested so I give them a high rating. I was hoping to see if the sho would give me the same fuel economy in the lower rpm range and a little more power (and a little less economy I suppose) in the upper. Most outboard manufactures don't publish the hp and torque curves of their engines so, it is hard to see where the powerband really is.

Comment

Originally posted by Grady180 View Post
                      Thanks for all the input. Yes, I spoke to Grady and they said that they rig all their 180's with 150 power so, it was the west coast dealer who supplied this boat to the previous owner, that replaced the 150 and added the kicker. The thought of replacing the kicker for a smaller and lighter one has crossed my mind. Yes, yamaha does make an xl shaft for the f115sho and yes, it costs about a grand more so Rodbolt17's and bosco99's comments about the f115xb seems to makes a lot more sense. I have emailed grady a few times with questions on getting replacement boat parts and they have always been quick to reply with the information I requested so I give them a high rating. I was hoping to see if the sho would give me the same fuel economy in the lower rpm range and a little more power (and a little less economy I suppose) in the upper. Most outboard manufactures don't publish the hp and torque curves of their engines so, it is hard to see where the powerband really is.
                      They hide it under the guise of "proprietary" data. It is a big dark secret.

Only time I see curves is when an engine maker (usually Evinrude) tries to use one to show their superiority over the other brands of motors.

Comment

I was looking at the attached performance bulletin. If your boat had the HPDI 2 stroke it probably died early in life. Thus you have an F115. 60 gallon fuel tank on an 18 foot boat is impressive.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/def...2-57-GRW-B.pdf

Are you considering the F150? I still think that boat needs the HP...... You could cruise at a lower rpm and probably negate any fuel economy loss.

Comment

A horsepower and torque graph would be a big help with the decision on the f115b vs f115sho. The weight (because of the kicker) and price of the f150 is making the decision to stay with the 115 easier. It really was not a bad setup because i am using this boat in the open ocean and have short runs to the fishing grounds. Top speed is about 30 knots but, with a boat this size in open ocean swells, I have a hard time doing 25 knots. I mainly need top speed and quick acceleration for getting out of our inlets when the ground swells are up and 30 knots is fine. These numbers are with a used 2005 f115a and the prop I mentioned earlier. The previous owner had a 13-1/4 x 17 yamaha painted stainless prop on when I bought it and top speed was 35 knots at about 4700 rpm with a light load and sluggish response. Needless to say, that prop quickly came off. Thanks for the all the responses. Everyone's input will be considered since I still have not purchased an engine yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Grady180 View Post
                            I have a 2005 Grady White sportsman 180cc which I bought used about 4 years ago. It is powered by a F115 extra long shaft and also has a f20 for a kicker.
                            Out of curosity, what is the purpose of your kicker? I've seen kickers on sailboats and large powered vessels, but never on a 18ft boat.
                            Jason
                            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Good question. My previous boat had a single evinrude and I only had to get towed in once in the 27 years I ran it. The stator gave out and there is only so much you can do on the ocean. I also repowered every 5 or 6 years with the old blue smokers. I guess it's a sense of comfort knowing that if the main gives out, I can still have some sorts of propulsion. When you are in 25 knot winds and in waters that are too deep to anchor, having a backup feel good. The reason I am going to purchasing a Yamaha outboard is their reputation of being reliable and I am more familiar with working on these engines. I got quotes from other brands that were a lot cheaper but, the dealers backing and parts availability of the other brands where I live, were not up to par in my opinion. The engine I am planning to replace is 13 years old and I don't know how well the previous owner took care of it. I was starting to have a lot of small but expensive repairs and felt that I should start brand new again. Try my best to maintain my boat systems so to be reliable but, sometimes mechanical things we have no con***** of go wrong. I don't think anyone can predict when a fuel pump will give out.

Comment

Working...
                              X