Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 Stuck shaft

Hello,
    I have a F150 with a stuck shaft. I went to drop the leg and nothing, no movement. I've had this problem before on another motor but that one dropped down about 1/2 inch but this one don't move. I'm pretty sure the shaft is stuck up inside the crank/oil pump. I tried to remove the power head but that to wont move, that's why I think its stuck in the crank. Over the past week I've shot "break away" oil up into the oil pump/shaft hoping to free it up. I loosen the leg bolts and put lift pressure on the flywheel hoping that would work, nothing. Anyone have any idea's? Any help would be welcome. Thanks you!!
    Last edited by kuilima1; 06-08-2017, 06:46 PM.

Did you remember that bolt under the trim tab?...

Comment

Yes, I have all the bolts but two off. I have two backed off halfway just incase it brakes free the lower leg don't drop out. This boat has twin 150's, other side came right out.

Comment

Maybe several small wooden wedges tapped in carefully all around....keep tapping and give it some time to loosen.

Comment

+1 ^^, some wedges.

Also, pull the red safety "key" (crank but NO START)

Loosen those bolts a bit more.

Have someone hit the starter, for just a SECOND, (to rotate and hopefully loosen any rust on the splines). With the engine tilted fully DOWN, using the weight of the LU to help.. Re-peat. Hopefully that'll do it..

Good luck and report back plz

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

What about firing the motor up with a few plug wires off(and grounded) to make it shake some, with water to the motor and those bolts still holding it from falling off completely the vibration may help.
            Just a thought, I have never tried this so do at your own risk

Comment

Better than beating the cavitation plate with a hammer!

Comment

As for using wooden wedges, cant get them in because the gap isn't open enough. I could try and pry but don't want to break the housing.

I tried crank/no start to get the shaft moving some, nothing happened.

I just put couple bolts back to secure the power head and started the motor, Let it idle and also gave a couple ****s by giving the gas, still nothing lol.

I think it may be time to cut the shaft. I can see half the shaft at the bottom of the oil pump. Maybe time to cut half, spin the motor and cut other half. Price for new shaft and the seals in the propeller shaft is cheaper than trying to wedge and the housing brake.

Comment

Shift it back and forth between fwd and Rev when running.....many times. I did that to old mercury I had and it finally broke loose. Shaft splines where half rusted away. Just had two bolts left in about halfway out, so L/U had somewhere to move.Do at your own risk.

Comment

+1 on ALL the above.

Keep them bolts loose, fire it up on muffs/water, shift it to forward and reverse.

Some good "taps" downward with a block of wood to spread the "shock " out a bit should help.

I'd do all that WAY before cutting the shaft
                    Scott

Comment

and sometimes it takes a sawsall.

Comment

Any updates?
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X