Yamaha OX66 Vmax 250 vs OX66 Saltwater Series 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha OX66 Vmax 250 vs OX66 Saltwater Series 250

Ok, What is the difference? I cannot locate a data sheet on the vmax. I do know the weight is slightly less. Is this due to corrosion resistant (SS) components in the SWS? Is the gearing/bore/stroke the same? Is the mid-section/lower units interchangeable? Are cowlings interchangeable?

the ECU's are mapped different.
    bold graphics
    the vmax is typically 20" and the saltwater series 25 or 30".

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      the ECU's are mapped different.
      bold graphics
      the vmax is typically 20" and the saltwater series 25 or 30".
      I came across one with 25" shaft. Aside from the cowling, they look identical. What affect would ECU mapping have if mated with another SWS OX66? I can remedy the cowling issue. I mean if I bolt it on next to a SWS, drop a SWS cowling on, will they operate similarly, i.e. Similar speeds at similar RPM's, etc., or does mapping change that?
      Last edited by jfbetz01; 06-04-2017, 09:44 PM.

Comment

the Vmax was primarily a bass boat motor and does not use CCS.
        the sw series was for lower speed operation and does use CCS.

Comment

Got it. However, it would seem easier just to have all use ccs, or all not. I actually hear more complaints about a rough low rpm shake b/c of ccs. As long as all else is in tune, shouldn't be much of a bother.

Btw, I think I read somewhere that the flair on the max cowl was so e type of ad-hoc ram air design. Sounds like all theory...
          Last edited by jfbetz01; 06-04-2017, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfbetz01 View Post
            Got it. However, it would seem easier just to have all use ccs, or all not. I actually hear more complaints about a rough low rpm shake b/c of ccs. As long as all else is in tune, shouldn't be much of a bother.

Btw, I think I read somewhere that the flair on the max cowl was so e type of ad-hoc ram air design. Sounds like all theory...
            The VX250 might have had a Ram Air cowl whereas the SX250 used just an aerodynamic cowl. Probably had newer and bolder graphics as well. Oh, peak response induction as well. Different reed valves.

Back to reality, the VX250 uses a Showa power trim and tilt unit which IMO is a slightly less robust component.

Yam says both models use CCS. I don't know.

Last edited by boscoe99; 06-05-2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Ram Air just for looks? Thought I read somewhere years ago that intakes and carbs do not like turbulent air.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                Ram Air just for looks? Thought I read somewhere years ago that intakes and carbs do not like turbulent air.
                A convergent/divergent diffuser section within the Ram Air duct eliminates turbulence while building air pressure to above atmospheric pressure levels. More power. With no greater fuel burn.

A VX driver has to be cautious with throttle application, lest the boat and motor get away from him.

Comment

Performance from the marketing dept?

And what is "loop charged"?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    Performance from the marketing dept?

And what is "loop charged"?
                    It is when a young girl is wearing one and it charges the male suitor knowing that he is somewhat safe.

Comment

and watch out for live/bait wells throwing water at the motor ramming some of that too

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        and watch out for live/bait wells throwing water at the motor ramming some of that too
                        The water has to just be thrown somewhere near the motor. Within a few feet I suppose. The induction system is so great that it acts as a magnet on the water. The water will be heading rearward, three feet off to the side of the cowl, and the intake will be so great it will cause the water to make a 90 degree turn so as to be sucked into the motor.

If fresh water then more power will be made. If saltwater more power will be made but the metal parts don't like it so much.

Actually, there should be a caution not to be within so many feet of the air intake system when the motor is running. Like the intake of a jet airplane.

Comment

Can remember if it was Pratt Whitney or GE. Probably both.

Firing those frozen chickens into running jet engines. To simulate bird strikes.

Probably on Youtube somewhere.

Comment

reminds me of hearing of the loaning of a chicken cannon to others to do some testing of windshields.
                            the chickens kept going through the windshields.
                            they finally told them to thaw out the chickens before loading them up

Comment

Frozen chickens would be a problem. Fresh dead chickens is what are used I believe. Into engines, radomes and windscreens.

There is nothing worse than having buzzard guts in ones lap whilst one is trying to alight the aeroplane at the aerodrome. Tower, we have a bit of a slight problem here in the **** pit.

A buzzard by the way that recently gorged him/herself old days on road kill. Yummy.

They report that there is nothing left that can be identified as a chicken by the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X