• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulator/rectifier heat -

OK, so we know Yamaha water-cools the r/r on many models
    or has big "cooling fins" on others
    we know the r/r sometimes needs to be replaced because it "got too hot"

we also know that the Yamaha permanent magnet alternator - unlike an energized field alternator -
    always produces current, which if not "taken" by the battery, is "shunted" to ground by the r/r

So - question:

which produces the damaging heat?

-when the maximum amount of current is being accepted by the battery?

or

- when the current is not taken by the battery, and must be shunted?

What is

"when the current is not taken by the battery or an electrical load, and must be shunted"

for $2000 Alex?

Comment

I suspect that a test on an F225 will quickly confirm the correct answer.

Or do you already know from having done such a test?

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
        OK, so we know Yamaha water-cools the r/r on many models
        or has big "cooling fins" on others
        we know the r/r sometimes needs to be replaced because it "got too hot"

we also know that the Yamaha permanent magnet alternator - unlike an energized field alternator -
        always produces current, which if not "taken" by the battery, is "shunted" to ground by the r/r

So - question:

which produces the damaging heat?

-when the maximum amount of current is being accepted by the battery?

or

- when the current is not taken by the battery, and must be shunted?

I am going with door #2. When the battery is not taking the current. That electrical energy with nowhere to go is being converted into heat energy by the R/R.

Please send me my 2 boat units Boscoe as soon as possible please.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Speaking of testing, I remember the two of you were to collaborate on some sort of octane/EGT comparison. ?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
            Speaking of testing, I remember the two of you were to collaborate on some sort of octane/EGT comparison. ?
            All I heard was silence? But then how can a lack of sound be heard?

Anyway, I presumed that he was not interested.

Comment

Boscoe- quick detour.

I was in ATL area for a week awhile back. Stopped at a small joint called Martin's for breakfast. Appears they have 13 or so locations. Best breakfast biscuit I have ever had. I assume you have been to one of these restaurants?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                Boscoe- quick detour.

I was in ATL area for a week awhile back. Stopped at a small joint called Martin's for breakfast. Appears they have 13 or so locations. Best breakfast biscuit I have ever had. I assume you have been to one of these restaurants?
                Yep, we have a Martin's here in Kennesaw. But we don't consider ourselves in the Atlanta area. I would rather think that I am 90 miles south of Chattanooga than 20 miles north of hellhole atlanta. Bastards are trying to take control of us. They may be coming to take away our civil war museum. First the flags, then the monuments, then the memorabilia. But I digress.

You are correct. Absolutely best biscuit in the area. Prices are cheap also.

Comment

I also like the breakfast tacos you find out in Yam's territory.
                  Taco trucks everywhere out there.

Now I'm hungry.

Comment

not being coy - haven't done anything yet. But considering it.

All I heard was silence? But then how can a lack of sound be heard?
                    Anyway, I presumed that he was not interested.
                    I thought I had replied - "in the affirmative".
                    Perhaps my response was eaten by that wacky random "your post will now be reviewed by a moderator"....
                    Anyway - I'm still interested.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                      not being coy - haven't done anything yet. But considering it.
                      I thought I had replied - "in the affirmative".
                      Perhaps my response was eaten by that wacky random "your post will now be reviewed by a moderator"....
                      Anyway - I'm still interested.
                      You don't need to be coy, Roy. You just make a new plan, Stan. You don't need to discuss much, Gus. You just need to get real, fairdeal. Keep it real, fairdeal. Don't be eatin' no fat, pratt.

I will send you an email regarding some tests to be done if you are interested. Sounds as if you are.

Comment

Working...
                      X