Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting read re water with fuel and detonation:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0320150721.htm

As a side note, I use K100 which suspends water in the fuel so it's eventually burned off. I've been using it since 2007 and NEVER collect any water in my transom separator or under cowl filter. I only use non-ethanol fuel only.

IME, works very well. I use RingFree and the K100 ONLY regularly in the boat. Fuel tank is original (20 years old, emptied once-thru pick up line-no water when sucked dry)

Third video down:
    Demonstration | Fuel Additive | K-100

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

full o sheet
      I don't care how you suspend water or alcohol.
      it has to burn in a specific paremeter that was engineered for gasoline of the correct burn rate.
      freaking snake oil.
      dilute the gas and it is simply diluted gas.

Comment

Maybe Fairdeal can add this to his upcoming octane/egt testing? If you lower octane, does the exhaust get hotter. As in leaner...

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          full o sheet
          I don't care how you suspend water or alcohol.
          it has to burn in a specific paremeter that was engineered for gasoline of the correct burn rate.
          freaking snake oil.
          dilute the gas and it is simply diluted gas.
          Well, any water that accumulates in my tank simply evaporates on its own..

Call it what you want, I don't have ANY water in either separator..
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            Well, any water that accumulates in my tank simply evaporates on its own..

Call it what you want, I don't have ANY water in either separator..
            Obviously not evaporating, it's sitting on the bottom of your tank below the pickup. If your not out there rockin and rollin to get it into the mix it will continue to sit peacefully undisturbed.

I know it doesn't take much to ruffle your feathers , so don't take this as an attack

Comment

Originally posted by jfbetz01 View Post
              What would be considered excessive cooling system maintenance?
              I believe he was meaning not enough, but I could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                I believe he was meaning not enough, but I could be wrong

Dunno...water pumps were changed 3 weeks ago prior to launching; T-stats last year; had a strong tell-tale, temp gauge was in normal range at time of failure. I may have goofed not draining VST in the fall before lay-up.

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                  Obviously not evaporating, it's sitting on the bottom of your tank below the pickup. If your not out there rockin and rollin to get it into the mix it will continue to sit peacefully undisturbed.

I know it doesn't take much to ruffle your feathers , so don't take this as an attack
                  None taken...

How about, is it possible it works?

Has anyone here actually tried it and it failed????

Did anyone look at the video?

I have PERSONALLY seen that test done at my local MC shop (which is where I learned about it).

Call it snake oil, BS, don't matter to me.

In my 10 years of using it, I've NEVER DRAINED water from a 20 year old tank (filter, PERIOD)..

BTW, it doesn't take much to get a 20'4" boat bouncing about from wakes, etc..
                  Scott

Comment

It would seem to me that if this k100 was able to hold water in a fuel solution, the percent of dilution would be extremely small, and perhaps insignificant enough to allow a safe burn-off. Say for example, I had 1 gallon of water in my 140 gallon tank, and lets say for math sake, I'm not full, but only have 100 gallons of fuel. My percent dilution is .01 or 1%. Is burning a 1% diluted fuel mixture potentially harmful?

The alternative would be that the 1 gallon of water may concentrate itself...say in the bottom of a VST, and have the engine ingest a much higher diluted fuel mix...and say detonate the cylinder...

Is this the theory with K100? In the video, they are using large amounts of K100 to isolate water...looked like a 50/50 mix.
                    Last edited by jfbetz01; 06-04-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

See below chart (from their site) for usage amounts.

It is also a stabilizer.

It is the ONLY stabilizer I use (RF isn't a stabilizer). When I drained my tank (about two years ago), most of the fuel (bout 35 gallons) was close to two years old. (Had an issue I thought was fuel related-it WASN'T). The fuel that came out smelled / looked like it just came out of the pump. We ran it my neighbors boat, SUV, my SUV, worked fine. Large tank with a fuel sipping engine. I won't go out W/O at least half a tank...

Tried Stabil once in a mower carb(many moons ago). Had to replace a bowl o-ring about a month later- FRIGGIN VARNISH inside the bowl!! Want to talk about "snake oil"? Pitched that crap...

Re water in the fuel, as I re-call, late 70's and 80's, they were water injecting High Performance car engines with water. Not sure if it raised the compression or ??? but it was done...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engine)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-04-2017, 05:36 PM.
                      Scott

Comment

For some reason I thought you would need the same amount of K100 as there was water to get it to do something with the water.

have no idea really.

I want to know what would happen if that water/ethanol mix that dropped out of e 10 gas got sucked up by the pump in the VST.
                        if it is just a slug and not all that is being pumped into the rails, could it just affect a couple of cylinders like the OP had showing damage?
                        Seems not all of the injectors would get it and is it possible that it could plug/restrict the injectors it hit causing them to go lean even after the slug passed thru.

it would be nice if there was a simple test to do on gas to see if the octane has changed
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 06-04-2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfbetz01 View Post
                          I may have goofed not draining VST in the fall before lay-up.
                          Bingo. I drain every last drop from vst, filters, lines and gas tank when I put mine up for 6 months. Clean and dry

Comment

Working...
                          X