Grease fitting for top of middle leg C115Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease fitting for top of middle leg C115Q

Hi. I am greasing all the fittings on this 1993 2 cycle 115. I see 6 fittings, confirmed with the owners manual. Four are at the pivot point. One is on the starboard side close to the bottom of the middle leg and one is just below the power head inside the cover.

They all took grease except no grease showed up at the top of the middle leg. However, grease came out of the bottom of the middle leg.

There is some dried grease at the top of the middle leg which I cleaned off. I'm going to try work in more grease on a hot day but should I be injecting grease through the fitting on the side near the bottom of the middle leg, or the one that is just below the power head? Not sure which fitting is the correct one to work on. Thanks. Greg.
    Last edited by Iyamhappy; 05-31-2017, 05:31 PM.

Originally posted by Iyamhappy View Post
    Hi. I am greasing all the fittings on this 1993 2 cycle 115. I see 6 fittings, confirmed with the owners manual. Four are at the pivot point. One is on the starboard side close to the bottom of the middle leg and one is just below the power head inside the cover.

They all took grease except no grease showed up at the top of the middle leg. However, grease came out of the bottom of the middle leg.

There is some dried grease at the top of the middle leg which I cleaned off. I'm going to try work in more grease on a hot day but should I be injecting grease through the fitting on the side near the bottom of the middle leg, or the one that is just below the power head? Not sure which fitting is the correct one to work on. Thanks. Greg.
    I've since answered my own question. After cleaning the residue grease I let the motor and grease gun heat up in the hot sun and I introduced more grease to the fitting on the middle leg. Taking it slow allowed the grease to ooze out of the top of the middle leg. Mission accomplished. The fitting in the middle leg allows grease to travel both up hand down inside the middle leg.
    Last edited by Iyamhappy; 05-31-2017, 05:59 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Had the same issue, not unusual at all..

Besides as you did, (wipe away old grease, I pulled/wrapped an old t-shirt around the base and pulled super tight. That helped force grease up to the top.

I didn't use a heat gun either, (friggin messy too).

BTW, THAT middle grease fitting (after flushing), I grease after EVERY OUTING. Just one or two squirts but you'll see water come out when you do.. Cheap insurance...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-31-2017, 07:42 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Can't have too much good grease in there. I lower my engine down and turn the steering back and forth a good bit. Then hit it again....I have seen a few boats for sale with corrosion on the grease fittings. How does that happen?????

Comment

Working...
        X