Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buzzer wont stop on 1997 60HP Autolube (60FETO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzer wont stop on 1997 60HP Autolube (60FETO)

Hi Guys, really hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction. When I turn the key to the on position the alarm sounds wont stop (constant not beeping), if I run the engine it runs in limp mode and wont exceed 2000rpm. After reading many posts about it, I came to the conclusion that it was the oil tank sensor or temperature sensor. I pulled out the oil tank sensor so the float would drop and the alarm tone changed (alot louder), after putting it back in the buzzer returned to its normal tone so am assuming that it is functioning correctly. I have also tried disconnecting the pink wire from the temperature sensor but that also mad no difference, In a last ditch attempt, I disconnected the oil tank wiring loom and the temperature sensor combined but the buzzer is still sounding and engine runs in limp mode... Please help me

back story: I took the boat out the day before and it was fine, no issues at all. When I took the boat out yesterday, everything was fine for about 20 minutes and then the buzzer started sounding and limp mode kicked in. every time I turned the key the alarm would immediately sound. I visited the boat today and turned on the ignition (didnt start the motor), the alarm didnt sound straight away and thought i was in the clear but after 5 mins or so, the alarm set off again...

Comment

I'm not familiar with your engines model, and boats.net doesn't list its parts diagram either.

Your tach gauge will alert you to which alarm is activated by a blinking line above either the oil or heat symbol.

Again I'm not sure about your model, but you could unplug the oil tanks harness from engine harness. I believe this will disengage the alarm system. Turn key on. If alarm does not sound then you've isolated the alarm as oil, not heat.

If oil:
      Look at your engines main oil tank as the alarm sounds. Where is the level of oil located? There should be 2 lines on the tank. The oil level should be in between these 2 lines. If oil level is below the bottom line on tank the alarm will sound and engine reverts to limp mode.

If your engine has a reserve oil tank (this tank is separate from the engines main tank):
      When you turn key on, the reserve oil tanks pump will turn on and fill the engines main oil tank. If your main tank oil level is below the bottom line and the reserve tanks pump is not working, the oil alarm will sound. If this is the situation you then need to figure out if the pump is blown or if the oil harness wiring is bad.

If you main tank oil level is in between the 2 lines AND the gauge oil symbol is blinking then either the sensor or harness wiring is bad.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

A 1997 60FETO is the equivalent of a 60TLR(X).
        Last edited by boscoe99; 05-29-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          A 1997 60FETO is the equivalent of a 60TLR(X).
          You the man. Looking at the parts break down for a '97 60CTLR there is no mention of an oil system. So does this mean this model is premix fuel/oil? Is that what "autolube" means, cause I've never heard of this yam model.
          Jason

Comment

Thank you both for your quick responses, I've tried disconnecting the oil tank harness but it didn't make any difference and the buzzer continues. That's what has caught me out, even after disconnecting the temp sensor and oil harness, its still alarming but I thought it was only those 2 that could the alarm to activate (I don't have a remote tank). Unfortunately I don't have a tach to see what the actual alarm is for, is there anything I can do with electrical testers to find out?

Comment

The 60FETO is a Japanese import (I'm from the UK). it has a built in oil tank and pump

Comment

Have you tried disconnecting oil and temp, one at a time, while engine is running?

I would think that if both oil and temp sensors are disconnected, thereby bypassing alarms, when you turn the key you should not get an alarm. Nor should engine go into limp mode because you've bypassed alarms. But I'm pretty amateurish when it comes to the electrical system, so hopefully boscoe will chime in.
                Jason

Comment

Originally posted by oliverfhsmart View Post
                  The 60FETO is a Japanese import (I'm from the UK). it has a built in oil tank and pump
                  If you have temp sensor disconnected, oil level in tank between 2 lines, and still get an alarm then it's got to be a issue with the oil sensor or the wiring in the harness (bad ground?).

If you've got a multimeter I'd test the oil harness wiring, engine harness side and oil tank side. Make sure no voltage drop is occurring and/or the ground wire is good.
                  Jason

Comment

Hi guys, When you disconnect the temp sensor, does the change take effect immediately or does it take time to reset? I have disconnected both oil sensor and temp sensor in every order I can think of but it still makes no difference. I m going to pop down again this evening to try again. Since I am premixing the fuel at 100:1 (I don't trust the autolube yet), is there any way I can disable limp mode another way? some sort of limp mode bypass. Since disconnecting both sensors seems to make no difference and assuming these 2 are the only thing that can cause the alarm and limp mode I am guessing there is a short somewhere.. can a short in the control box cause this or would it more likely be in the engine cowling? is there any other sensors at all that can cause alarms and limp mode? sorry for all the questions, boat season has just begun over here and really keen to get out and do some fishing with my son

Comment

you have said it took 20 minutes for the alarm to come on while running and then again only 5 minutes another time without the motor running.

is that correct or did you start the motor up and let it run for 5 min?

not sure if motor has to be running for some time for this alarm to happen

I would not be bypassing anything , fix what the problem is

Comment

That's correct, the first time the alarm went off I had been running for 20 minutes. But now the alarm will sound after a few minutes without the engine running at all.

Comment

Ok, so I spent a few hours on the boat again this evening. As expected, a few moments after turning the key the buzzer sounds. I disconnected the oil harness and turned the key again, alarm sounds. then I disconnected the temp sensor and turned the key again, alarm continues to sound.. so with both completely disconnected it still goes off. I have re-seated all the other connectors on the engine just in case it was one of those but that made no difference either. Took the boat for a run around the bay (alarm sounding the whole time), limp mode would kick in randomly throughout the journey, i would drop the revs and accelerate again, sometime it would accelerate as normal and sometimes it would enter limp mode, completely random. After reading another forum post do you think this may be the cause of my issue? http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...m-th18577.html Can i "hot wire it" by connecting the cables by hand? hoping one of you might know which ones I need to twist together!!

Comment

Sounds like the sensors need to be tested properly. I wouldn't run a motor with with either overheat or oil warnings sounding.

Comment

I would find a service manual with wiring diagrams to troubleshoot the system.
                              bad wiring or device maybe, but does not make sense that the motor would go into and out of RPM reduction while the buzzer keeps going.

maybe more than one problem

Comment

Working...
                              X