X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 Lower unit slippage

Hey All
    Thanks in advance.
    I have twin 150 on my northcoast. Im having issues with my counter rotating lower unit.
    My issue is
    I push throttles forward increasing rpms slowly to get up on plane. As the rpms rise thru 3000 the counter rotating engine revs in rpms to about 3700 the comes back down to 3000. The revs increase but there is no bite in propeller. like the lower unit is slippin. Engines cant push boat to get on plane.
    Engine ran "fine " yesterday got on plane, no slippage and no sudden increase in rpm when trying to get on plane
    I replaced the rubber hub in center of prop as there was a crack in existing one but this didnt correct the problem
    I tried putting on the original props and this did not correct problem
    Is it possible that I did something to gears in lower unit.
    Any help appreciated
    Steve

Sounds like the hub slipping to me.

Is it possible there's a hairline crack in the prop where the hub goes?

Changing out props only shouldn't have damaged the LU at all.

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

[QUOTE=TownsendsFJR1300;139972]Sounds like the hub slipping to me.

Is it possible there's a hairline crack in the prop where the hub goes?

Changing out props only shouldn't have damaged the LU at all.

Replaced hub brand new this afternoon

No marks on SS prop. No visible cracks. Tried original prop to see if it was "props" issue. Problem still occured
      Pulling boat tomorrow to check lower unit fluid. Just replaced as its start of the season here.

Comment

had a friend that drained his lower units and forgot to fill back up. said he was going to buy new oil next time into town, but forgot.
        hope your memory is better than his.

Normally when a hub turns loose it will not stop slipping without bringing the throttle back down,

not sure what your problem is, but some props have hole to let exhaust to flow over the blades to help them slip to get RPMs up when starting out but then grabs and runs out fine.

Comment

Changed out both motors lower unit oil not 3 weeks ago. Both are full to spec.

Comment

or were full when you put it in 3 weeks ago

Comment

Nothing in your LU to slip.....all gear driven.

Comment

Working...
              X