Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need outboard help. Not turning over (video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need outboard help. Not turning over (video)

Ok I need some outboard motor help. I was told to come to you guys for all my outboard needs.

I bought a budget fishing boat. 21ft Glastron CC.

Engine is said to be a 1997 Yamaha 200, but the cover says 115.

I have been building track cars and weekend cars for a little over a decade, my neighbor has been building classic cars for a few decades, and my neighbor is a electrician.

But we know next to nothing about boat motors. It's similar but very different.

Anyways I bought the boat last weekend. The motor ran fine when I looked at it. We ran and started it up 4 times for a good while on the hose. There were other people who saw it and ran it that morning as well.

As we were doing the compression test on the last 2 cylinders the motor was having a hard time cranking. He said its due to the battery having a dead cell and everyone who is looking at it running it.

Well I got it home, charger the battery, still no fire up. Found out the battery does have a dead cell. Bought a new battery, still no fire up.

We think we aren't getting spark or fuel or both. But can hardly tell how this engine is designed. Hopefully you guys can help me figure out what changed from just towing it home.

I'm sure it's something stupid simple too. It always is. Video attached.

https://youtu.be/HyjWTPYcYW4

https://youtu.be/PkJIiIfs4qM
    Last edited by Cpt_MotorBoat; 05-29-2017, 05:39 PM.

And can anyone tell me what size motor this is for sure?

Everyone is telling me this is too big to be a 115, but the cover that matches says 115. But the extra cover he gave me is for a Johnson 200 that's white and doesn't match at all.
    Last edited by Cpt_MotorBoat; 05-28-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

There should be a red plastic "springy" clip with a plastic Black clip that fits under where the ignition switch / key goes in.

That clip is a safety clip and if missing(or pulled out), the engine will spin over BUT NOT run, (kills the ignition).

Is that in place?

If so, pull the spark plugs, attach to the plug wire, ground and crank. See if you have spark.

Make sure you ALWAYS have water attached to the LU (muffs) when cranking/running or you'll have another project...

Also, there should be a sticker, on the starboard (right) side of the engine near the mounting bracket, (silver with black #'s). Do you have that and if so, please post..

Advise what you come up with.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Re-looking at your first video, your missing that safety clip mentioned above. It fits somewhat snug and should NOT have fallen out. You have NO spark with that missing..

The clip looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/CISNO-Outboar...gnition+switch

Look around the floor for it, looks like a two pronged fork..

Also, being a V6, it's VERY likely a 200 HP. I don't know of any V6, 115's

Here's a parts diagram for ONE model for a 200 V6 from that year:
        http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...LRV/parts.html

Does the Johnson cover even fit??????

Does the 115 cover fit???

Neither should fit and clamp down...
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-28-2017, 09:40 PM.
        Scott

Comment

The clip fits in between the round switch and hex base (1st picture below). But if you can't find the lanyard clip then pull up on the key switch with your fingers, where the red arrow is pointing in the 2nd picture. Just for the sake of running through your compression tests you can find something to wedge in there to keep the kill switch closed.

115hp is a V4, as stated above. And I'm a little confused as to how a 115 upper cowling would secure down over that big V6. I'm not 100%, but I doubt the 115 and 200 upper cowlings are interchangeable.

Last edited by Jason2tpa; 05-28-2017, 09:51 PM.
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

That's weird I could have sworn I would have noritced something like that when buying it.

But maybe he did wedge it just to jimmy rig it for the buyers. I'll try that tonight when I get home from dinner.

And yea, both the 115 and 200 Johnson covers fit and lock. They are literally the same shape and everything. Accept the color.

But what you guys are saying sound exactly right. I don't seem to have spark OR fuel. Which is why I'm so confused because cars don't have these sort of kill systems. Not to mention I hate car wiring in it self and am more mechanical than electrical. But this boat layout is like Spanish as far as my skills and knowing what I'm actually looking at.
            Last edited by Cpt_MotorBoat; 05-28-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Took some pics of the key ignition.

It has one flat side, but there is no slot or anything to engage on the key ignition on the console. I tried to depress and lift it to simulate that safety lanyard. Didn't find anything accept it has threads for a cover or something.

Closer pic attached

But I'm really sure you guys are onto something.

Someone else mentioned on another forum a choke? Does this motor have a choke? I figured a 97 motor would be FI or direct injection.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Cpt_MotorBoat; 05-28-2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Did the previous owner explain how to start it? you are probably not using the choke!

Comment

Does anyone know where the choke is on this motor?

I've googled and looked I don't see a choke or any directions of where it would be located.

Google on this motor is very limited in my searches.

Comment

I don't know your exact model, but some had a butterfly choke that is like an auto choke, and is activated by pushing the key in, you will hear a "click" if it's working, some had a primer setup, not a butterfly choke, without the model, we can only guess.

Comment

I'm 90% sure a '97 200hp has its choke in the key ignition. To apply choke you'd push the ignition key in as you turn to start. Pushing key in activates the choke soleniod on the engine, which in turn closes the valves.

The combination of no ignition kill switch and no ignition choke... Im thinking your ignition is aftermarket, not yamaha. It's sure possible the previous owner installed a generic ignition thereby bypassing a kill switch and choke.
                      Jason
                      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Does anyone know the choke wire in the diagram?

Maybe the bypass wire came loose during transit. And yea from the looks it is probably after market or from the original motor. A lot of the wiring on this boat is very simplistic and lazy.

Comment

Ok, your close up picture shows what appears to be an after market starter switch (which probably does NOT have the safety lanyard / clip).

Find the fuse box and check the fuse for the ignition.

You have carberators with a butterfly / flap choke,CLICK:

1997 200TLRV Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

There should be linkage going to all three carbs, then to a solenoid that pulls them SHUT (choke) when activated. You can manually pull the linkage closed for initial starting / testing

Again, pull a spark plug and check for spark.

On the bottom of the carb float bowls are drain plug(one for EACH SIDE of the 2 bbl carb). Remove and catch what comes out(if anything-it should) . (Look at the carb link). Squeeze the primer bulb to see if fuel flows out-it should.

**NOTE, click on the link I posted and navigate the PARTS DIAGRAM looking at whatever your interested in. It is VERY helpful

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-29-2017, 06:40 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

OP should be able to take pics of id plate and front of motor with covers removed so others can see what he has.

even a mechanically inclined person can tell what a carb /choke/ or EFI differences are

Comment

Got it figured out.

Gave in and called the guy. Nothing's wrong with the motor. Appariently you need to use starter fluid into the carbs and choke it.

If anyone is curious it's a small red tab lever right in front of the carbs on the port side.

Appariently that's how he got the boat for so cheap to sell. The guy he bought it from said the motor was broken. The guy knew he just didn't deactivate the choke on the motor which is why I wouldn't run for the guy who sold it to him.

Thanks for the help everyone. I really wish there was more info on these motors on the internet. I googled this before posting and nothing came up showing where the choke was located on this motor.

At least now I know.
                              Last edited by Cpt_MotorBoat; 05-29-2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X