Yam. Temp Gauge/troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yam. Temp Gauge/troubleshooting

the shop manual is not very detailed or helpful on troubleshooting Yam. gauge problems...or maybe its just me.

My stock Yam. Temp is not working...either gauge or sender. Gauge needle does not move at all. I guess its wired into warning sensors on the top of each cyclinder head. Anybody have the test procedure (wiring codes/color etc?). Motor is a 2001 OX-66.

Is it an individual analog Yamaha temp gauge? If so there should be a temp sending unit on top of the starboard cylinder bank, separate from the temp warning sensors that are typical in the tops of each cylinder head. The analog temp signal sender is just screw in from the top and has two wires coming out of it (blue and black...if I remember correctly...).
    By chance you may see the temp sender screwed in to the port cylinder bank, but that side is actually reserved for a water pressure gauge sender. The temp sender should be in the starboard side. You can short the two wires together with the ignition on and the gauge should go full hot. If not, the gauge is bad.

Mike

Comment

mike, thanks not digital...orange background with a pointer ....that if looking directly at gauge points to the right. I do short out the blue/black wires at harness from the engine, correct?

thanks again..

Comment

Did you find the single temp sender in the top of the cylinder bank? But if the needle is already pointing off to the right sounds like the gauge may be toast anyway.

Mike

Comment

mike and guys, it finally stopped raining, here is what i found.

yes, indvidual analog gauge (6ys 8359000) $53.90 on this site. first, i was wrong, gauge needle in resting position points to left..port.. not right as i said before.

when i turn on the key, the pointer moves a little bit up. i then diconnected the blue/black wires at the engine sensor in top of starboard side , and touched them together where the harness runs back to the gauge. turned on key and the needle only moved again very little. it did not go all the way up to the hot end of the gauge. guage toasted?

another dumb question, with the battery swicth off, is some residual power still stored somewhere? the reason i asked, with bat. switch off, i turn on the key and the gauges light up, but will not turn over...it all goes blank.

thanks

Comment

Hey John,

No there should be no residual power left after you turn off the main battery switch. Sounds like somebody wired the hot lead (to the console area fuse panel...)to the wrong post there on the battery switch. Like it's connected to post 1 or 2 instead of the common post. Pull the battery switch off and inspect the posts on the backside. I'll test my temp gauge tomorrow morning to make sure what it's reaction should be, but I believe that is correct. Now, whether it's the gauge's fault or something else we don't know yet.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X