Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 SX200TX - No Power

Hello all --

Engine is a 1999 Yamaha SX200TX (0x66) with approx 1800 hours. Engine has been used several times this season and has run great. Had a problem the other day with the key switch, which needed to be replaced, and have used the boat since without any trouble.

This morning I started having the following symptoms:

1- First thing I noticed was a slightly louder thunk when I shifted into gear from neutral - engine sounded just slightly off after that point and while idling in forward gear for a few mins, with maybe a tiny bit more vibration than I would normally have at that RPM.

2 - When I went to give it power, nothing really happened when I moved the throttle forward - I got maybe another couple hundred RPMs and that was about it.

3 - When I would back into neutral, I noticed the RPMs were higher than they normally be, somewhere around 1100-1300.

4 - At one point it felt like the binnacle controls felt a little out of whack - it seemed a little harder to move the controls, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

5 - After doing a quick check and looking to see if there were any obvious mechanical linkage problems the motor ran fine for a few minutes after I restarted.

6 - Shifting back into neutral and then forward a few times and then idle speed was back up and the symptoms returned. At one point I was running up on plane and everything was fine, then the engine quickly dropped a few hundred RPM. I backed off to neutral and then put it into forward with same problems.

7 - While idling back to the dock, I had to advance the throttle a bit more than I usually would for the RPMs I was getting, and a few times the engine would suddenly jump up in RPMs again and I would back off.

8 - With the cover off, the engine definitely sounds rougher than usual.

I went back home to get my tools & diagnostics, here is what I checked:

1 - Both batteries are brand new and otherwise seem to be fine.
    2 - Both low pressure fuel pumps were replaced in the spring.
    3 - VST filter was inspected/cleaned in the spring.
    4 - Engine is still pissing ok.
    5 - Mechanical linkages seem ok, nothing seems broken or out of place. Both gear and throttle linkages appear to be adjusted correctly.
    6 - I get no codes on the winky blinky, both when idling and when the problem is occurring.
    7 - Fuel pressure out of the VST remains constant, even while the problem is occurring.
    8 - TPS voltages check out ok, and appear to be behaving correctly when throttle is adjusted, even while problem is occurring.
    9 - I had just put in new spark plugs the day before and hadn't run the boat in gear since, so put in an entirely new set to make sure I didn't have a bad plug.

Not sure where to go from here - any pointers?

Thanks,

-- Tom
    Last edited by tsheehy; 05-28-2017, 09:26 AM.

Sounds like a couple of issues...

The shifter "feeling different" is an issue alone. I would disconnect the throttle and shifter cables at the engine, then move the helm control checking for smoothness (or issues).

Then check at the engine, if the throttle opens / closes normally. When re-installing the cables, make sure the engine "slide" is lined up (should be some marks). The cables should then slip over easily. If not, adjust cables so they do.

The shifting / clunking is from a higher than normal idle.

**Do not shift with an 1100 -1300 RPM idle or you'll be doing a LU rebuild...

As for the rough running, I'd start with doing a compression test and see if that turns up anything. (hold throttle WOT when cranking / testing).
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-28-2017, 07:35 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      As for the rough running, I'd start with doing a compression test and see if that turns up anything. (hold throttle WOT when cranking / testing).
      Scott...how does in bold above factor into the result, compared when testing in neutral?
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
        Scott...how does in bold above factor into the result, compared when testing in neutral?
        We are testing in neutral.

The throttle is WIDE open to allow the full amount of air possible INTO the combustion chamber for an accurate #.

Throttle blades closed limit air that can be sucked in / compressed (lower actual compression #'s)
        Scott

Comment

We are testing in neutral.

The throttle is WIDE open to allow the full amount of air possible INTO the combustion chamber for an accurate #.

Throttle blades closed limit air that can be sucked in / compressed (lower actual compression #'s)
          Ahh, ok. Your engaging the neutral throttle button. Gotcha.
          Jason

Comment

It has been brought up before and you can try it yourself if you want. I did.
            I was supprized myself,as I always thought you needed to.

opening the throttle plates on a 2 stroke during compression testing does not do much at all.
            there is enough air sucked in from the exhaust to get a good compression test.
            4 strokes need the open throttle
            It does not hurt to have them open on a 2 stroke but it is not needed

Comment

I was able to check the compression yesterday afternoon - everything seems ok, seeing 130 PSI across the top and bottom cylinders and 135 PSI across the middle.

Have not disconnected the control linkages at engine yet, will try that next. I haven't noticed anything odd in the shift/throttle since the initial problem.

Thanks for suggestions so far!

-- Tom

Comment

Maybe you have a bad connection to 1 of the sensors, that would give you high idle and crappy performance.

Yamaha complicated the crap out of this design and gives you a winky blink tool to figure it out. They should have taken a look at how Harley Davidson went about putting fuel injection on their bikes

Cable operated throttlebody with an injector and absolutely no sensors. KISS, and nothing to go wrong.

Comment

The "winky, blinky", I take is no codes on the gauge cluster?

Have you plugged the engine into YDS and checked for codes, etc?
                  (Actually, I'm not sure if your engine can plug into YDS- someone else needs to
                  chime in)

Scott

Comment

should be obvious that if the OX could plug into YDS we wouldn't be using a tool called Winky Blink using very old moss code technology.

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                      should be obvious that if the OX could plug into YDS we wouldn't be using a tool called Winky Blink using very old moss code technology.

Never used /saw a "winky, blinky" so I have no idea..

I do know some of the larger, older engines won't plug into the YDS..
                      Scott

Comment

Never used /saw a "winky, blinky" so I have no idea..

I do know some of the larger, older engines won't plug into the YDS..
                        wink blink similar to obd 1 in 80's vehicles

Comment

No error codes are showing on the winky blinky diagnostic lamp. This engine does not support hook-up with YDS.

-- Tom

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                            wink blink similar to obd 1 in 80's vehicles
                            Dummy light-got it..

Originally posted by tsheehy View Post
                            No error codes are showing on the winky blinky diagnostic lamp. This engine does not support hook-up with YDS.

-- Tom
                            Ok, thanks...
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              It has been brought up before and you can try it yourself if you want. I did.
                              I was supprized myself,as I always thought you needed to.

opening the throttle plates on a 2 stroke during compression testing does not do much at all.
                              there is enough air sucked in from the exhaust to get a good compression test.
                              4 strokes need the open throttle
                              It does not hurt to have them open on a 2 stroke but it is not needed
                              Good to know, thanks. Just curious, why does a 4 stroke need the open throttle for compression test?
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X