2005 F225 TURD Seastar Steering - Disconnecting, bleeding etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F225 TURD Seastar Steering - Disconnecting, bleeding etc

I need to remove the two hydraulic lines that carry fluid to / from the steering rams on my yacht-t-t-t-t-t-t and I have a few queries for the cognoscenti.

I need to install an inspection / access hatch on the "swim platform" section immediately in front of the two engine splash wells. Proper nomenclature or no? I am having bilge pump float switch distress and it would appear that invasive surgery (and a cash transfusion) are in order. So, the hydraulic lines are exactly and perfectly in the way and they must be removed.

I'm looking for a pdf or manual, one that is geared toward Forrest Gump if you know what I mean.

1. How do the lines disconnect?
    2. Is there a particular convention to the process? i.e. One that minimizes the introduction of air into the system?
    3. Bleeding instructions once hooked back up?
    4. What fittings are used on the bleeder valves on the rams?
    5. Seastar fluid or is regular old ATF or other MILSPEC hyd fluid adequate?
    6. Who kidnapped the Lindbergh baby?
    7. Why does my neighbor think its OK to mow the lawn at 0715 on a Sunday?
    Last edited by oldmako69; 05-28-2017, 08:10 AM.

The lines are standard "compression fitting" type (although on the newest Seastar parts they have gone to a proprietary o-ring part) so they just loosen and unscrew

if you can find something innocuous to plug/cap the ends just to minimize dripping
    (I keep a collection of various size plastic/rubber caps/plugs)

you can't avoid getting "some" air, so you will want to bleed it anyway after.

There is a nifty spring clamp fitting for the bleeder ports - but you don't need it.
    Just get about 6 feet of that clear vinyl tubing they sell at every hardware store - I think 1/4" ID will fit on there nicely

Teleflex/seastar has bleeding instructions easily googled -
    basically you dummy up an "IV" bottle - an old quart Hypoid lube bottle with the pour spout works nice - some hose (same as the bleed hose) and a hose barb fitting for the helm fill port.

I would never pay for the official liquid **** fluid - but I did follow their manual and purchase a gallon of the specified milspec aircraft hydraulic fluid - it is a superior satisfying red color.

As Boscoe can attest, if you search THT you will find thousands of posts "debating" with considerable acrimony the merits/perils of ATF, Tractor Supply Jack Oil, on and on.

Comment

Seastar bleeding procedure:

http://www.criboats.com/wp-content/u...Purge-Info.pdf

Comment

Outstanding and many thanks.

Last boat had a hynautic set up and I read all those same posts on THT regarding the proper fluid. The hynautic stuff was idiotically pricy and I used ATF when I rebuilt the helm pump since that's what was in the system when I bought the boat. Guy at my marina told me I was nuts, etc. Funny thing is, his steering was horrible. It took all kinds of grunt to spin his wheel and mine was smooth like buttuh'. 12 years of ATF and not a problem.

I figure that its a low pressure, ambient temperature system. You could probably fill it with corn oil and get similar results.

Will follow that link. Thanks.

ps No idea on the kid or the noise ordinance eh?

Comment

tell him that the riding mowers have headlights and it is cooler before sunup

Comment

People piss and moan about their tractor decks rusting out. Wonder why?

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
              Outstanding and many thanks.

Last boat had a hynautic set up and I read all those same posts on THT regarding the proper fluid. The hynautic stuff was idiotically pricy and I used ATF when I rebuilt the helm pump since that's what was in the system when I bought the boat. Guy at my marina told me I was nuts, etc. Funny thing is, his steering was horrible. It took all kinds of grunt to spin his wheel and mine was smooth like buttuh'. 12 years of ATF and not a problem.

I figure that its a low pressure, ambient temperature system. You could probably fill it with corn oil and get similar results.

Will follow that link. Thanks.

ps No idea on the kid or the noise ordinance eh?
              Don't waste your money on Mil-H-5056 hyd fluid, ATF works just as good at a fraction of the price, stick with that.

A old rusty mattress spring (or something similar) will do very bad things to a lawn mower, when ran over. Happened to a friend of a friend of mine...lol

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                A old rusty mattress spring (or something similar) will do very bad things to a lawn mower, when ran over. Happened to a friend of a friend of mine...lol
                you are not suppose to be burning old mattress in your yard, and if you do you need to do a better job of cleaning things up after

Comment

Half a can of Drano in the oil?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    Don't waste your money on Mil-H-5056 hyd fluid, ATF works just as good at a fraction of the price, stick with that.

Panasonic just fills up a gallon jug at work!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      Half a can of Drano in the oil?
                      you keep drano on you mind all of the time dont you

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        you keep drano on you mind all of the time dont you

Hey it's on the other site, must be true!

Post #5:
                        Yamaha F225 bogging after idle - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          you are not suppose to be burning old mattress in your yard, and if you do you need to do a better job of cleaning things up after
                          Burned it on the beach, and cleaned up real good except one spring found its way into the long grass at high tide mark....couple of weeks later the lawn mower bit the dust...real good.

Comment

Working...
                          X