X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting '99 40hp

Hi guys,

I'm having issues with starting. Here's the scoop:

Brand new battery (2 days), fully charged. Ran motor a few times out of water, seemed to start OK, but I think on some starts the motor was slow to turn over (like barely enough power). Took it on the water for the first time this year, about 20 minute ride, started. Turned it off, then tried to start and it was like the battery was low on power (it barely turned over). It started, ran for another 15 minutes or so, turned off, then couldn't get started.

It was struggling to turn over, like the battery was dead. I checked terminals and stripped back fresh wire at the battery. Then when turning the key, the starter relay would click repetitively but motor not turning. Then, the relay would just click a single time when I turned the key, nothing else.

I took it out of the water, trickled charged over night, my charger says 'float' not 'charging' now, so I assume fully charged. I get a single click when I turn the key, and the motor tries to turn just a little bit sometimes.

I have a Motomaster Nautilus 27, 800cca.

I didn't have these problems before, but this boat has been a bit of a project... I did have a totally dead battery this spring, but I think the key was left on over the winter.

Any suggestions on where to start on this?

Thanks

First, get the battery fully charged and load tested(at least test voltage). Get a new battery if need be..

For the no crank issue, double check all your battery wires... Make sure you have close to 12.8 volts
    from the battery back to the engine. Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere..(Not un-common)

Also, once started, checking the RUNNING VOLTS, that the engine is charging, close to 14 volts.
    (You may have started with a full battery, didn't have any charging and eventually ran it down).

Low voltage would also cause the starter solenoid to "click: and NOT do anything-not enough amps...

You should have 12+ volts ALWAYS, on one side of the starter solenoid. When cranking, 12 volts,
    (the click), directs that 12 volts to the starter.

You can go direct to the starter or starter solenoid and put 12 volts DIRECT to the starter to verify the starter is ok.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-27-2017, 12:49 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would try turning the motor by hand to make sure it or the lower unit are not binding up.

next if turns by hand OK, hook up a volt meter to battery and monitor when hitting the start.

voltage drop testing will be the best way to go from there to find bad cables or connections

Comment

Invest in your boating future by purchasing a digital multimeter. There are many to choose from, but the simplest ones have all the functions you need for boating electronics.

Klein Tools Manual Ranging Digital Multimeter-MM300 - The Home Depot

No reason to guess if your batteries are fully charged when you've got one of these. And no reason to guess where the electrical problem is located either, whenever that happens, as it absolutely will on a boat.
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
        X