2004 F225TXRC finally goes home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 F225TXRC finally goes home

My mechanic finally gave me his blessing on the used 2004 F225 he found for me. Originally he told me it was a 2005, but after some research I found it to be a 2004 with a 2003 engine harness.

But finally, I got him to perform all but one last chore on the motor and he said it was ready to go home.

Initially, he said when he located this engine, that is was a low hour motor and just needed the valves ground. Once that was done after a week, he said it ran great, but would stall after a few minutes unless you squeezed the bulb, so he concluded that it was a fuel pump. After some time, the pump came and he said it was the wrong pump and sent it back. More time elapsed and then he texted me that the right pump arrived and the engine ran fine then and he was going to finally mount it on my Grady White 22.

During this time, I had been changing gauges and running harnesses and finally the two (the engine and the boat) met. I finally convinced him to finish installing the steering and the intake manifold and to replace the power trim motor that was badly corroded that he said he would change.

Then he finished the sea star steering, but now the trim pump is not available since it is at a friends house and he suddenly goes on a cruise for a week. So I decided that since I was going to refinish the cowling that I would clean it up and paint it too.

So a friend and I pulled the boat and motor to the river to offload it and take it home. I live in a community where boats and trailers are not allowed in your yard. So we dropped it into the river and fired it up and let it warm up for a while, then It stalled, I squeezed the bulb again and it fired back up and just before it stalled again, we decided to go since we had a 3 mile trip and the weather was crummy. We were looking forward to a Memorial weekend of fine boating and so I put the 704 leaver in the forward position and promptly backed into the seawall. Then the engine stalled again, so to get it home, my friend sat on the stern and squeezed the bulb and I ran the boat with the 704 leaver in the reverse position. Needless to say, no boating this weekend.

Today, after cooling down, I ran the motor and with the leaver in the forward position and the prop was turning to the left, so I guess that has to be a linkage problem in the lower unit since the shift slide was forward.

As far as the motor stalling every 5 minutes or so like it was when the mechanic supposedly replaced a pump, I tested my bulb and I ran the motor from a separate gas tank and it still stalled out. I'm not sure where to go from here, but I'll do a search for similar problems.

I just need a little guidance on the shifting problem and some ideas on the engine stalling. It's probably the pump that he did not install.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rpambrun; 05-27-2017, 09:11 AM.

For the stalling, if you know you need a fuel pump, hand priming the bulb is doing that (instead of the pump). (If I understand correctly). That or you have a air leak somewhere before the engine fuel filter.

As for the shifter, it sounds like your mechanic found you a COUNTER TURNING lower unit (for a dual engine set up)

The fix for that is replacing with the correct lower unit...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-27-2017, 01:02 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Cheaper to change the prop than the LU

Comment

Should be marking on lower unit to say if it is a lefty before going too far.

I am very suprized they did not catch this when installing and testing.
        give them a call and see what they say

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          For the stalling, if you know you need a fuel pump, hand priming the bulb is doing that (instead of the pump). (If I understand correctly). That or you have a air leak somewhere before the engine fuel filter.

As for the shifter, it sounds like your mechanic found you a COUNTER TURNING lower unit (for a dual engine set up)

The fix for that is replacing with the correct lower unit...

I did run a straight line with a new fuel line directly from a gas can with non ethanol gas and the engine still stalled after about 4 minutes. I restarted about 4 times just to make sure. I even ran it without the bulb after I primed it.

If there is a marking on the LU that indicates that it is a leftie, where would that marking be. I'll go scope it out.

Comment

Where is Capitano Solo? We need him to take a photograph of the L that is embossed in his left hand turn lower unit.

Comment

Out fishing or gone, who knows.

Rod or someone posted about a mark on the lower before, but too many beers right now to remember.
              brisket and home made deer /pork sausage on the pit right now.
              take that back just took the sausage off, brisket will go on till late this evening

Comment

Thought Rodbolt said the mark was on the case above the trim tab. Remove trim tab to view.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  Out fishing or gone, who knows.

Rod or someone posted about a mark on the lower before, but too many beers right now to remember.
                  brisket and home made deer /pork sausage on the pit right now.
                  take that back just took the sausage off, brisket will go on till late this evening
                  Memorial Day event?

Comment

Here's where the "L" is embossed for a 150:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...f.html?page=18

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-27-2017, 06:34 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      Memorial Day event?
                      No, just cooking for the week end.
                      and staying off the water .
                      too many people on the water on the holiday weekend and the wind is still blowing too much anyway.

you tried a brisket again?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        staying off the water .
                        too many people on the water on the holiday weekend and the wind is still blowing too much anyway.
                        Just had on the news down here.

A 12 year old boy died after his grandfather crashed their larger boat into a concrete bridge abutment. Maybe 5 miles from here....

1 child dead, 1 trauma alerted after Cape Coral boat crash - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                          Here's where the "L" is embossed for a 150:
                          Apparently F115 also.
                          One might think that would be easy to get on google - but I only found this one:

LEFTHAND YAMAHA 4-STROKE 115 hp OUTBOARD 20" COUNTER-ROTATING F115 LOWER UNIT LH | eBay

Comment

Kinda hard to miss that!!

Would a counter rotating prop on a normal rotating LU cause the OP's issues?
                            Scott

Comment

if you run a left hand prop on a right hand case you destroy the case.
                              if you run a right hand prop on a left hand case you destroy the case.

the L in the pic can ID some cases.
                              later model cases the L is stamped in the casting under the trim tab.

Comment

Working...
                              X