Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 L150ETXH right side bank stopped firing

Suggestions please.

Standing behind the engine, the right side (drivers) has stopped firing. I'm used to Evinrude engines (this is my first Yamaha) where each bank has separate power packs but that doesn't seem to be the case with this Yamaha. Any suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

check the pulser coil inputs.
    Yamaha did not use a bank to bank setup on this motor.
    it uses a high and low speed charge coil.
    check the charge coil outputs.

Comment

Thanks for the info rodbolt. What should they be reading?

As a troubleshooter, I switched two wires on the input side of the powerpack with a cyl that I know was firing and left the outbound side wires as they were. The problem stayed with the same set of cylinders and the other side still fired.

In my pea brain, this tells me that the powerpack isn't letting the signal from the trigger through, no?

Comment

my guess would be you swapped wrong wires.

might help someone if you told what wires you played with
        service manual will have specs and procedures, do you have one for the motor you are working on?

CDI troubleshooting guide on the web should have some info for that old motor, but I have no idea if their pecs are for OEM or their devices.

peak reading meter made for reading these CDI systems is needed or a DVA adapter with a regular meter
        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-29-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I switched the wires coming from the trigger/pickup. The white ones with the different color stripes.

Comment

do you know which ones you swapped and what cylinders they correspond to from a service manual or just guessing?

Comment

Working...
            X