rectifier heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rectifier heat

Boscoe or Rodbolt I had asked a few days ago about a charging issue where my battery voltage was dropping to 11.5 volts or so and at other times charging ok.

In starting to look at the issue today after starting and running the engine several times today it always started charging above 13 volts and going up to about 14.5 or.6. however when going back to the engine and starting to look at the rectifier to start to check its output it was very hot to the touch. How warm does the rectifier usually get? Do not have any type of temp monitor to really check.

Sorry this is on a F115TLRC 2004.
    Last edited by dray0151; 05-25-2017, 06:20 PM. Reason: engine type
    Dennis
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

There are no temperature specifications that I know of.

However, it is known that the particular R/R used on the F115TLRC model is problematic. The design has been changed to improve reliability.

I would unbolt the R/R and inspect the back side of it for any signs of distress. If it lights up it can take out the expensive ECU that resides just above it.

Heat and flames rise. Let's position a part that is designed to emit heat, and which is known to catch fire, and put it right under (not above) the ECU.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe. As I said it was very hot to the touch, would not want to just grab a hold of and hang on, I did look at the back side of it, it was not melted , but could see a couple of places that appeared to show impressions of what ever is behind the plastic like cover of the back. I will try to get a PIC of the back if I can get one that will show the minute impressions I refer to. As soon as I can get a peak volt adapter I will check out the lighting coil output and then the rectifier output.
      Dennis

Comment

typically the first signs of overheat are shown at the connector.
        carefully inspect the plastic and pins.

Comment

Pics of recitifier

Attached are pics of the rectifier that gets hot. back as

I said you can see some impressions in it but otherwise to me looks good. Wires look good not brown or bubbly like they have been really hot?

I had trouble getting the picture of the back as soon as I can rectify that I will attach.
          Attached Files
          Dennis

Comment

I can tell you 1st hand about the bad decision Yamaha made to put the ECU on top of the Voltage Regulator..........

I can also tell you to NEVER use wing nuts on your cranking battery!! That was an expensive lesson.....

Comment

Rectifier back side.

And I don't use wing nuts on my batteries.
              Attached Files
              Dennis

Comment

I do not see anything bad in the pics.
                can you tell if it is the original R/R?
                maybe a good idea to change it out before it does something very bad
                Last edited by 99yam40; 05-27-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  switching the battery switch while running is like a bad connection at the battery.
                  motor sees the connection come and go,
                  "Perko battery switches are designed for surface mounting. Standard duty switches have a bright red polycarbonate housing for safety with a large easy-to-turn black knob. The housing of the heavy duty switches are red fiber-reinforced polycarbonate. Selector switches are designed with a "make before break" feature. This allows switching between the "1", the "all" and the "2" positions while the engine is running."

PERKO Inc.

I doubt any competing brand of "marine battery selector switch" is not also "make before break"

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                    "Perko battery switches are designed for surface mounting. Standard duty switches have a bright red polycarbonate housing for safety with a large easy-to-turn black knob. The housing of the heavy duty switches are red fiber-reinforced polycarbonate. Selector switches are designed with a "make before break" feature. This allows switching between the "1", the "all" and the "2" positions while the engine is running."

PERKO Inc.

I doubt any competing brand of "marine battery selector switch" is not also "make before break"
                    I did not know that.
                    I am good for the day now, already learned something.

I may have known that at one time but killed off those brain cells

Comment

It is good to learn something early in the morning so that the brain can then take the rest of the day off. I like to learn 7 things early Monday morning so I can then have the rest of the week off.

Comment

I have no way to know if this rectifier is the original or not. I don't see part numbers on it and have only had the boat 2 years now.

I never change the battery switch between numbers while running, if I want to change it I would always stop the engine.
                        Dennis

Comment

Okay found some numbers on the rectifier, not very clear but it shows SH678B-13. just below that I can vaguely see 3.0.1?

Found one on EBAY used looking for the number above not sure that this is an OEM part or the updated rectifier part number6D3-81960-00-00?

Boscoe?????
                          Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                            I never change the battery switch between numbers while running, if I want to change it I would always stop the engine.
                            my mistake on that, from what fairdeal wrote they are a make before break.
                            but I guess that part of it could go bad also

Comment

Working...
                            X