130hp 2 strokes, stator question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 130hp 2 strokes, stator question...

The motor starts fine, idles fine, cruises fine at WOT for about 20 min then it starts misfiring.

I was looking at the electronic components according to the service manual.
    The book says to check stator resistance:

Stator leads ( 4 wires) going to pack should read for high and low speed 60 ohms and 300 ohms respectively,

I am reading infinity (?)

The resistance of stator coil going to regulator is checking ok.

That's all i have done so far but I was wondering if someone had experience with these stators and tell me if it is unusual to read oo Ohms.

Thank you.

Fmt
    1990 Yamaha 130v4 130ETXD.

your either on the wrong wires or the circuit is open.

Comment

What wire colours are you measuring? The SM can trick you.

Should be Black/Red (B/R) to Blue (L) for the high speed coil and Brown (Br) to Red (R) for the low speed coil.

It would be very strange for both coils to be open and yet to have the motor run. At all. For any length of time.

Later SM's have the coils tested for output voltage and not resistance. Do you have a peak reading volt meter.

Last edited by boscoe99; 05-25-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
        What is WOT in RPMs? Is it bogging down from WOT, or misfiring. What year engine?

Put battery on $20 multimeter (with light) and see 12.6V with engine off.
        Start engine and get 14.6V - and your charging system/stator are probably ok.

Not a mechanic here. Slept at a Holiday Inn last night.
        it is a 1990 130etxd. yes, the battery is charging. My understanding is that there are actually 3 coils on the stator, 2 (high &low speed charging coils) for the CDI and one Lightning coil to charge battery through rectifier.
        So having the battery charging doesn't necessary mean that stator is ok.
        Last edited by fmt2bx98050; 05-26-2017, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          What wire colours are you measuring? The SM can trick you.

Should be Black/Red (B/R) to Blue (L) for the high speed coil and Brown (Br) to Red (R) for the low speed coil.

It would be very strange for both coils to be open and yet to have the motor run. At all. For any length of time.

Later SM's have the coils tested for output voltage and not resistance. Do you have a peak reading volt meter.

Boscoe99,Thank you very much. You are absolutety right. The SM says Brown to Blue and Red to RedBlack but now that you posted i checked and the wiring diagram is showing that it should be B/R to L and Br to Red.

Yes I have a DVA. SM doesn't give ANY info on DVA reading specs though... (?)

Well, I hope that the SM isn't wrong too much. that's gonna be frustrating otherwise...

I'll check tomorrow what i get
          Last edited by fmt2bx98050; 05-26-2017, 05:16 AM.

Comment

L- B/R 45v at cranking 165v at 1500 170 at 3500.
            br-R 160 cranking 165 at 1500 170 at 3500.

Comment

Ok made some meaningful progress here. I can't thank you enough for mentioning Service Manual discrepancy .

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 11.06.32 AM.jpg

The lighting coil checked ok at 0.5 Ohms on any green to Green wire. Now the spec is according to SM, so might be off too. Don't know

I couldn't do a test at 3500 RPM I was limited to a static test with motor running in driveway.

Seems like the stator is pretty much out of specification......

Next going to re-check the Rectifier, see if it is healthy.

Comment

Did u wind up replacing stator

Comment

From 3 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by 97yampro View Post
                    Did u wind up replacing stator
                    Yes replaced stator . All good after that

Comment

Working...