F80tlra won't shut off cdi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F80tlra won't shut off cdi?

I have a f80tlra 2002 50 hp four stroke. It won't shut off when warm. Been through the whole wiring system all good traced it back to cdi. When I push on the cdi with my thumb near where the white wire connects it kills it. Only does it when it's hot. Checked the plugs all look good. Even disassembled them and tighten connectors no change. Do these CD's fail like this often? Is there any cheap fix for this?

If the CDI is receiving the ground information but the motor will not stop then the CDI has failed internally. Not normal, but it happens.

The fix is to replace the CDI. Only about 0.4 of one boat unit.

67F-85540-01-00 YAMAHA C.D.I. UNIT ASSY

Comment

Is there a difference between 67F-85540-01-00, 67f-85540-02-00, and 67f-85540-03-00?

Comment

Originally posted by swain_cad View Post
        Is there a difference between 67F-85540-01-00, 67f-85540-02-00, and 67f-85540-03-00?
        Yes. But the difference(s) is(are) not known to any outside of Yamaha. Or maybe outside of Mitsubishi.

Your motor came with a 67F-85540-01-00 installed. The -01-00 was replaced by the -02-00 which was replaced by the -03-00. Either of the three dash numbers will work.

Comment

Could the CDI failure cause engine surging at low rpm? When the engine is cold I have a surging issue, only at low rpm (idle speed). Found a good deal on a used CDI on Ebay.

Comment

I thought we were talking about a 80 or 50 hp motor that will not shut off when turning off the key or pulling the kill switch.

if a bad connection to the kill circuit is the problem I do not see why the motor would have a problem from that if the kill circuit was not calling for it to be shut off

Comment

My bad, typo it's a 80HP. I know the cdi controls the ignition system, and have determined it to be faulty. I suspect a bad internal solder joint. I also have the surging at low RPMs when cold just wondering if the two might have been related. Hate to spend a bunch of time on the carbs just to find out the bad CDI was causing multiple issues.

Comment

Once you replace the CDI ,you can then see if other things need work.
                if the CDI has more than one problem it might, but I do not think the problem it has will affect running as you say

Comment

When my CDI gets in I'll hook it up and post back with the results. Thanks for all the quick replies and help.

Comment

Replaced the cdi. Idle is smooth. Engine cuts off, even when hot. Thanks again for all the help.
                    Last edited by swain_cad; 06-02-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X