Yamaha 1991 200TXRP Overheat Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 1991 200TXRP Overheat Alarm

My 1991 Yamaha 200 started giving me an overheat alarm after cruising about 5 miles at 2000 rpm. Prior to this it would alarm at idle with the ears but not when in the water. I had just put new thermostats in it 3w prior. I pulled both thermostats out and ran it yesterday all day with no alarms. Anyone have an idea what the issue is ? The thermostats are good. I'm thinking poppet valve or water pump ??

When was the water pump last replaced?

I gather the thermostats were installed in the block in the correct direction.??

BASIC's first...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Its been a few years so that is next in line when the boat comes out. I was just wondering is removing the thermostats would have compensated for a weak pump temporarily because the motor is fine for now without them.

Comment

stats normally force the water to flow to all parts of the motor in the proper amount of flow as designed.
        without the back pressure the flow is not as designed to all places on a clean cooling system
        will have colder and warmer places.

did it help your problem, maybe
        is it a good idea to do that , no

replace the pump, check the PRV, test and put the stats back in.

If you needed to clean the passages behind the stats then more than likely , others are also plugging

Comment

Replace the WP with the KIT. It's not much more than just the impeller.

Also, if you see ANY damage / warping, etc to the pump housing (not included) REPLACE it. It WILL make a big difference in water flow..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            Replace the WP with the KIT. It's not much more than just the impeller.

Also, if you see ANY damage / warping, etc to the pump housing (not included) REPLACE it. It WILL make a big difference in water flow..
            Thanks.....we will be replacing the pump as soon as I pull the boat this week.

Comment

Working...
            X