fuel water separator questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel water separator questions

After buying and installing a separator on my yammy 250 hpdi / I have had a very slight weeping around some of the brass plugs that were in some of the unused ports on the separator . I am afraid of over tightening and cracking . When I purchased I asked about teflon tape and was told NO . What to do ????

flippin,
    Good question - I'm getting ready to install a 10 micron filter/water separator in my fuel line to counter the possible effects of ethanol blended gasoline. I was going to use Permatex 14A thread sealer on the fittings, until I read the label.
    Does not say it will stand up to gas and ethanol.
    You want a thread sealer that will hold up to both - I'm gonna have to do some research - will post what I find out.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

They just don't recommend the white/pink teflon tape. According to industry standards yellow is Ok for fuel/oil applications. The white tape isn't flame proof and will melt above 260C. It's just for plumbing water.
      You can find yellow teflon tape at Home Cheapo or Lowes in the plumbing section.

Mike

Comment

Thanks, Mike [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Guys- I did mine last week. My instructor was a DIY network article.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/bo_mai...278145,00.html

If you follow this link it will show white teflon tape being applied to the brass fittings.

I checked my installation, did not smell or see any traces of gas. I soaked a piece of the white teflon in gas- it looked OK. Now should I de-install is the question I must ask myself, and is it that important, for would not the fuel hoses and filter gasket be long gone as well at 260 C.?

Comment

Bobber you're probably right. I know I'm not gonna be in the boat at 260C anyway. I just posted the information for folks looking for a fuel/oil quality teflon tape, so they'd know what to look for at the store. If you're shopping for stuff to throw in your toolbox, a roll of the yellow teflon tape is nice to have. Its just one of the little things that shows the person doing the work knew what they were doing I guess.

Mike

Comment

Bobber,
              Just check the fuel filter after every trip to make sure there are no leaks (should do this anyway).
              It may be that over time, gas and ethanol will eat into the "white" teflon, whereas it won't the "yellow" teflon.
              Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
              Ken K

Comment

Loctite does make a thread sealer with Teflon that is approved for gasoline, Yamaha does sell it in the accessory catalogs, We use it on fuel fittings and water tubing fittings it works good. I have used the yellow tape but what I have read it should work good and probably cheaper than Loctite products.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                X