Harness Identification and Speedometer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harness Identification and Speedometer Question

A buddy gave me a box with some of his old harnesses and gauges. Anyone know what this harness is used for? Both harness wire clips are 4 gang: #1--red/white, blue/white, green, green/red; #2--orange, black, pink, grey.

The speedometer gauge is in decent shape. Recommendations on how to test its function before installation? Wires are yellow, red, blue, white, and 2 black.

I recon I can connect the gauge yellow to my harness yellow to power it up, check that first. If it works, then run a speed tube to lower unit.

Last edited by Jason2tpa; 05-14-2017, 11:15 PM.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

wiring appears to be a (pre-2006?) trim/oil harness

I have the same on my F225TXRD but only use the one with green/red etc.

IIRC to see the gauge display you will need to power both red and yellow
    (w/ black ground of course)

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      wiring appears to be a (pre-2006?) trim/oil harness

I have the same on my F225TXRD but only use the one with green/red etc.

IIRC to see the gauge display you will need to power both red and yellow
      (w/ black ground of course)
      Wish i was given this harness before i had to buy a new one months ago, it looks unused. Thanks bud.

I figured yellow and black would need power and ground, but whats the red for? Yamaha wire color reference lists red as "battery", which makes sense cause the gauge has a battery meter. But it too needs to be powered in order for gauge to display even if I don't intend on using this feature?
      Jason

Comment

red is "battery" - meaning "unswitched" power -
        as opposed to "ignition" power (yellow) which is only hot with "key on".

why - I don't know. But that's how it gets wired.

And, IIRC, when I wanted to "bench test" my speedo before i sold it on eBay - and to apply power to both to see the display

Comment

It also has a clock. Red should hold the clock time when off.

I also think it has a trip meter that shows how far you traveled.
          A harness can also be had to tie it into a GPS NEMA signal instead of the pitot... or was that the fuel flow meter...

Mine came with a black wire harness that is tied into the Fuel Flow and can be substituted with a harness to take the speed from the GPS. Yes, I think that is what it is , the fuel management gauge calculates MPG based on burn and speed.
          If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

White connects to the fuel tank sensor and indicates a bar graph on the righthand side showing your fuel tank level. There are dip switches to select what sensor you have (Yamaha, US, Euro)
            If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
              red is "battery" - meaning "unswitched" power -
              as opposed to "ignition" power (yellow) which is only hot with "key on".

why - I don't know. But that's how it gets wired.

And, IIRC, when I wanted to "bench test" my speedo before i sold it on eBay - and to apply power to both to see the display
              Gotcha, thanks. I'll see if I can power it.
              Jason

Comment

ran 12v into yellow and red, grounded the 2 blacks. Nada. Opened up the round rubber grommet on back to look inside. Orange corrosion dust was on everything, and the red wire was broken free from board.

Oh well, it didn't cost me anything. At least I now know how to test this gauge. Appreciate all the info.
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                X