Fairdeal; Do you have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairdeal; Do you have

an oscilloscope? I would guess that you have several. Multi-channel ones.

Need a test done.

Want to see what the current flow to a starter motor looks like. Peak amps and then steady state amps.

I do not! sorry

have considered it: there is a nifty - and reasonably priced - device that plugs into a PC via USB.

It would be interesting to have some real numbers.

I have also long had a curiosity about exactly how many revolutions/piston compression strokes are occurring before the engine "starts".
    O'scope might illuminate that.

Clearly "not very many" on my F225TXRD.

My automobile seems virtually "instant"

Comment

I had a couple of scopes , but the battery packs went bad and leaked. not sure what I did with them. might still be around here, but not sure

had a look around but could not find the scopes, must have recycled them or hid them from myself
      Last edited by 99yam40; 05-12-2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
        I do not! sorry

have considered it: there is a nifty - and reasonably priced - device that plugs into a PC via USB.

It would be interesting to have some real numbers.

I have also long had a curiosity about exactly how many revolutions/piston compression strokes are occurring before the engine "starts".
        O'scope might illuminate that.

Clearly "not very many" on my F225TXRD.

My automobile seems virtually "instant"
        My old 1981 Mercury two smoke was like that. Just **** the handle and the motor was running. Seemed like magic.

Now my damn chain saws are a completely different story. Prime, prime, prime, choke, pull, pull, pull, unchoke, pull, pull, pull, hold the throttle wide open, pull, pull, pull and she might just decide to light off.

Comment

thought you picked up a newer chain saw.

My old Craftsman without the primer bulb you hold throttle open ,put to choke, and pull rope till it pops .
          set choke to 1/2, hold throttle open , and pull a couple of times and she is off and running.

the newer Echo , prime till fresh gas is in carb, choke while holding throttle open ,pull rope till she pops, go to 1/2 choke while still holding throttle open ,and pull rope a couple of times .
          maybe you have not found the need to hold throtttle yet, but it may help on cold starting

Comment

While I don't use my saw or power washer much, I found they are much more receptive to work if I dump the gas between uses. Both are about fif**** years old.

I have a weed whacker from over twenty years ago that I haven't fired in a decade after I found the fuel line destroyed by ethanol. Every time I get the idea to pull apart and clean the carb, I see one on sale for about a hundred bucks or around fifty bucks more than the parts I need.

Finally got the '05 TLRD 90 out since August of last year. Steering was jammed. Freed the slide, filled with fresh gas and ran like new. As usual, I'll drain the carbs and leave the tanks bone dry to ensure the same next time.

Since I made a habit of not leaving gas in my gear, the only thing getting cranky as time goes by is me. I'm thinking the wife may be getting there too, but I don't pay enough attention to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              My old 1981 Mercury two smoke was like that. Just **** the handle and the motor was running. Seemed like magic.

Now my damn chain saws are a completely different story. Prime, prime, prime, choke, pull, pull, pull, unchoke, pull, pull, pull, hold the throttle wide open, pull, pull, pull and she might just decide to light off.
              My older Poulan chain saw starts on the second pull cold, one hot. (just used it 3-4 days ago)

Does your have the lever you pull out (for cold starts)? If so, prime, pull that "lever" out, NO throttle and pull till it kicks. Couple times, maybe.

Once you pull the throttle, the choke is OFF..

Might need to open (CC) the slow speed needle out a hair, (the one closest to the block)..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

My brothers Stil saw has the kick off of choke to warm start position if you open the throttle(pull trigger)
                , my echo and craftsman do not

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  an oscilloscope? I would guess that you have several. Multi-channel ones.

Need a test done.

Want to see what the current flow to a starter motor looks like. Peak amps and then steady state amps.

I have a scope picture... not of a starter though,probably seen it already.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X